Plug found in main drain

Markchandler82

May 25, 2020
St. Louis, MO
I recently became a pool owner. Moved in this past November and through research opened the pool myself. However I did not dive down to inspect the main drain. While swimming recently I noticed a rubber stopper plug and removed it thinking this must have been from winterization and I missed it. Now I am seeing water loss in my pool and am concerned I should t have removed this plug. Is there any reason this plug should have stayed.?
The pool is all PVC plumbing. With 2 skimmers and a main drain. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, welcome to TFP! It is not unusual for main drain plumbing to develop a leak. I would put the plug back in and not worry about it unless you want to make repairs. Repairing a main drain leak usually involves digging up the line and possibly busting up some pool decking to access it. You don't need a main drain for the pool to function.

Mark,

Put the plug back in and leave it alone. As zea as said, pools don't really need main drains.

You can get it fixed, if you wish, but it would be expensive.. I would hold off until you need new plaster or liner..

Thanks,

Jim R.

None of us with main drains plug them when winterizing. We blow air into the pipe from the equipment side and plug/valve it there and the air stays trapped in the pipe on the high side. Somebody plugged yours to stop the leak.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.