Please help with opening issues

Poolkidz

Jun 12, 2019
new jersey
Hi all,

Having some trouble I have not had before in 4 years of pool ownership.

We opened a month early this year, still cool/cold .... otherwise as normal.

During the winter I often have to pump water out, after heavy rain storms etc .... so typically CYA is zero/very low. This year on testing its between 50 and 60 (not sure ever been that high).

Perhaps may explain .... after opening I put pucs in the skimmer (as brand new chlorine continues not to work) .... which I did last summer, with zero issues. I tested fe times, and chlorine is really high .... with minimal pucs (3) ... again, nothing different to last year. Chlorine has been been around 8 .... and zero cc.

Which leads to .... I keep getting recurring algae? .... light sand color algae on the floor of the pool ..... I vacuum and brush, and literally within a few hours its back!

So, I have high chlorine levels, and this sandy colored algae.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Chlorine 8
cc 0
TA 120
CYA 50-60
pH 7

Actually, perhaps. it goes into the vacuum, so I don't have a close up view .... at least the color is similiar. Are those the long strands that fall from oak trees in your photo too ...... I get a ton of them coming into our garden / pool.
That on my picture is pollen. A lot of it. It normally doesn't affect FC.
Edit: Yes, those the long strands that fall from oak trees.

That on my picture is pollen. A lot of it. It normally doesn't affect FC.
Edit: Yes, those the long strands that fall from oak trees.
Ok, that may make sense, since we opened early I'm getting a lot more stuff going into the pool ...... on the surface, there seems to be a lot of pollen? (small white/transparent flakes) that I've been trying to skim off. So ... do you think I'm just having pollen settling on the pool floor? ... so just keep vacuuming?

+1. You'll have to OCLT every spring to know if its alage or pollen. Then keep the FC a bit elevated until the pollens gone. Pollen generally won't affect anything, but you don't want an algae bloom sneaking up on you while you think you are just brushing pollen.that collected. A little bit of insurance ensures its only pollen.

Some years I did a couple OCLTs if the pollen lasted more than 2 weeks just to be sure it was still pollen. Yup. **ACHOO!!!! Wipes eyes and breathes through half of one nostril* it's still pollen. Thanks OCLT !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.