Please help with my DIY solar heater

Okay, well I am still trying to figure out how I could (without taking up tons of space, or spending lots) raise my pool around a degree per 24 hours. In my situation, that would be enough for me to feel it was worth it.

Especially since my hot tub is 1/60th the volume of the pool and 1 degree per day for the pool = SO much free heat for the hot tub.

I'll accept that I might have to go with commercial solar panels, but if so, I still am hopeful that I could use the solar pump I already have here, that I don't have to hook into existing pipes, that it could be simple enough that I can install it, not have to put on roof, etc. Also if I am going to go with commercial panels, I may have to wait until the spring to do it at all.

So, having done more research, and still considering the DIY route:

Yes, for my pool size, I probably actually need 180,000-190,000 BTU to go up a degree. (Pool is around 22500 gallons, maybe a bit more.)

Many people on that webpage are claiming they are getting 5100-7100 BTUs per hour output from their 500 ft 1/2" coils. And people with 250 ft coils are claiming about half as much. I would love to get 7100 BTU/hr.

I guess they could be wrong, but it seems pretty strange for so many DIY minded people to be wrong. When they are testing their working running coils/pumps. They're definitely wrong? I mean, this is a pretty good design and there even exists the company called suncoil that professionally sells a similar design. Maybe it's a bunch more efficient than usual solar panels?

Plus some people are claiming the water comes out at like 100 something degrees, or that their pool got well into the 90's and was too hot, their DIY heater was TOO good and they had to make it run less than the full day. Many of them had smaller pools but many don't. Also the ones with bigger pools were doing 500' not 200'.

Another thing my friend smartly pointed out is that with my DIY method, my intake hose can be 3.5 feet down in my pool, or even lower if I wish. So I am able to exchange colder water than if the water was just getting sucked into the usual intake pipe from my pool... I guess. Plus, especially if I have my warm output water going into the shallow end, I know water mixes fast but I think it's kind of like you can ignore the bottom half of the deep end of my pool. That part can stay colder, and then it's like my pool is smaller in a way.

Or in other words, basically I mean, it's like the same concept as with a solar cover. Someone might buy one and say wow, it raised my pool 6 degrees. They don't mean the entire pool water average. They mean the top 2-3 feet that they can feel and where their thermometer is. If you did the cold math, you'd be telling them no, you only raised your pool temp 2 degrees, but in reality they are happy since it's like 6 degrees.

Some DIY people are using slow pumps, others pretty fast pumps... maybe they are all slower than the usual pool filter system pump, and maybe it makes the DIY more efficient?

That is a VERY good point that some of the DIYers are getting like a placebo effect, including heat that they gained from their cover or the natural sun's rays, etc... but I tend to think that most of them are measuring things fairly well, I mean I don't think they are off by 500%, but maybe off by 20-50%.

Also, say my pool temp doesn't feel 1-3+ degrees warmer after 1-3+ days. At least I might like that I could go over near the output hose and I could stand near it and it would be warmer.

Anyway, I know that I may still be missing things here. And no, I don't want to defend it even if it's wrong, and go and waste my time/energy/money on this if it's not going to get a certain level of results. I just have a hard time believing it won't given that many other people seem happy with theirs or seem to think that their logic is sound, etc.

... To the person who was going to coat the tubes with varnish: I just found a webpage where a guy tested it with his collector (not a coil style though) and said it helped very little. He did say it was probably little because of the air temp being warm though (air temp was similar to pool water temp before heating).

Hi Aquamarine,

I think that the information posted on the DIY forum comes from honest people and I'm sure nobody is there flat out lying. Most of the measurements that they provide are quite possible indeed. The problem is when you try to extrapolate from them.

The 1000BTU per square feet per day that I used is an average number for an entire day. The claims of 5000-7000BTU per hour for a 500 feet roll of 1/2 pipe comes down to about 250-300BTU per square feet per hour. That sounds very high, but if you measure the output around noon, when it's very hot, there are no clouds and a lot of sun, I'm sure you can get numbers like that. However, you can't extrapolate a full day from those numbers by just multiplying them by 12.

With my solar heater, I get the most heat between 11:30am and 2 pm after that, it declines rapidly and I get almost nothing after 4:30 pm. So the number of btu per hour during a day is not constant or linear, its a peak.

If you read the DIY board, you'll find this post that is consistent with my explanation:

Rob, much of the 3C temperature rise that you described in your initial post must have been from the sun heating the pool directly, not from the solar heater. Assuming an output of 6091 BTU/hr for 6 hours, the solar heater would raise the temperature of your 18' pool by 1C. It's possible you ran it longer than 6 hours, however I assume the output you calculated was a peak output, and it would've been less for much of the day.

I tested my new solar heater yesterday and I was a little disappointed with the performance. My heater has 250 feet of 1/2" poly tubing installed on spokes similar to Bob Clarke's. At noon, I calculated it was operating at just over 3,000 BTU/hour. I live in Eastern Ontario so I'm north of where you live, so it's possible the sun isn't as strong here. The temperature of my 18' pool rose about 3C yesterday, but I calculate the solar heater contributed less than 0.5C of the temperature rise.

The DIY heater made with 1/2" pipes will work, but you need a lot of pipe to get the minimum required square footage and I think that it's a lot easier to use commercial panels instead. The panels will probably be more efficient that the pipe, more reliable and less "ugly" (that's debatable). I haven't done the calculations but I would also suspect that for equivalent square footage, you'll find panels that are cheaper than the DIY solution.

Good luck with your solar heater project and whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll enjoy doing it!

Ah, peak... makes a lot of sense.

Since I started looking into all this with BTUs, etc... I am now really impressed with propane heaters. Although, I am aware that maybe my perception of them is wrong too. Not that I have the money for it now, but maybe I should wait and get one of those next year, or the year after. Is it true that I could get one rated as 300K BTU, and whenever I want my pool .5 to 3 degrees warmer, just turn the thing on for 1/3 to 2 hours and it's that fast? So the downsides would be big upfront cost, probably harder or more expensive installation, and then every degree increase costs maybe $2.70 in propane? I wouldn't like having to haul around the tanks of propane either / pay for delivery but maybe places would deliver free if I am already getting propane for the fireplace and/or grill.

I will investigate commercial panels more. Hopefully I find something I'd like as an option.

Re: panels and propane heaters I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to get some that are used that don't have damage. Sometimes I find ones that are used but supposedly in very good condition.

Thanks again.

I am a realist. I also have years of engineering backround, and yes I am a DIY. I haven't built mine to completion yet, but I can tell you IT DOES WORK. Not to the level of the professional ones yet, but I assure you it will when I'm done, at half the price of one I could buy from ebay, and 1/3 the price from some internet retailers (and yes, I spoke to the owner of gull industries suncoil myself as I considered buying his before I decided to DIY). I currently have 3/4 inch and 1/2 coils. All the BTU talk and technical jargon being thrown around is half theoretical as you do not get optimum sun all day long. As the poster before me stated, between 11 and 3 is when I get the best performance. All this "efficiency" talk is really mind boggling. None of the "efficiency" numbers put out there really compare to "cost effectiveness" which is really what most of us are interested in. It will be MUCH EASIER to just buy one and install it yourself. SOME of us are handy, creative, and enjoy building our own and I did successfully.

Look, I can run 100 gallons a minute through a short tube and gain 1/10 of a degree. I can run 10 gallons a minute through the same tube and get a 1 degree gain. Point here is, it's the SAME EFFICIENCY. What your not saying is "is it worth it."

The whole square footage in solar panels, to square footage of pool is also a huge variable for each individual pool. A pool in half sun and a roof that faces east is going to need a lot more panels than a roof that faces south or west. And the south and west will be different as well to get ideal performance. I have a pool in full sun, and a roof that faces due south. For that, I don't need the surface area that many "commercial sellers" tried to tell me. I know mine works (even if it is not complete) because of my pool temp compared to my neighbors. We have gotten a week straight of rain. Before the rain came (Monday the 15th) my pool was 85 degrees. My neighbors was 79. Our pools are almost identical. Oval, 20,000 gallons. I think mine might be slightly bigger. Over then next week, we will see how much faster mine heats up over his. He has been keeping an eye on what I was building, and like some other posters here, he is very skeptical.

I'm not proclaiming mine system is better, or the ideal situation. All I know is it works, and it saved me a lot of money. Is it the best looking thing? Probably not. Was it a piece of cake to build. No. It wasn't hard, but it did take many man hours. If you factor in hours of labor and my time, than yes, maybe it isn't "cost effective" but as I am a REALIST, I wasn't working on anything else during that time (like a paying job I could have done instead) and I enjoyed the hobby of making it, no ACTUAL dollars left my wallet, or were blocked from going in, so in that regards, it saved me money. So far I have 600 feet of 3/4" and 200 feet of 1/2. When I am done there will 800 feet of both. Not the THOUSANDS of feet that were stated as being needed.

Each coil I make is about a 5' diameter. Using 8th grade math and subtracting the small circle in the middle ( you just can't get that pipe wound that tight!) I get about 18 square ft per coil. Four coils gets me 72 square feet by using 100 sq ft of roof space. True, the flat panels would make better use of the space, but at $30 a coil, I think I'm getting a better deal, since I only spent $90 instead of the 200 or more from the commercial panels. With 12 coils in all that I plan to have total, 216 sq feet of collector space will produce plenty of heat for my needs.

My suggestions are not to dupe someone into "wasting time and money", just to provide honest facts that it can be done without ridiculing the DIY methods. It WILL take time and ELBOW GREASE to build it yourself, but in the end, I did save money, and I got the satisfaction of designing and creating it myself.

I appreciate all the input and some other readers do too, I'm sure.

True about the shade and angle of the pool.

Also I think that the temp increase is somewhat related to the original temp... i.e. to go from 70 to 72 degrees takes more energy than to go from 80 to 82. But I'm not completely sure on that point.

Lately it's been hot and my pool is warm enough even without a solar cover (day or night) or other factors to help it out. Yay. But it would be nice to have something for later in the season or if there is a week that's cooler. I do plan to buy the solar cover at least.

I'll keep thinking about possibly doing the DIY.

This SunHeater inground pool collector seems to be saying that for a 16x36 pool, use 240 feet of their collectors (that's 40% coverage), and you can get up to a 10 degree gain. I figure that places are talking about the gain over 2-3+ days and if your pool has full sun, etc. But still, as mentioned, I could be happy with about 1 degree in a day.

Found someone selling two 2x20 flexible solar collectors for $100 that are $240 if new, not in the best condition, but maybe once it's autumn I can find a cheap deal on some used ones.

Hi Luckyman, I hope I haven't offended you, it was certainly not my intention.

The impression that the original poster had was that 300 feet of linear 1/2" O/D pipe was going to be enough to heat a +20000 gallon pool. I tried to explain why this was not going to be enough and what were the alternatives.

The fact that you are planning for 216 square feet for your pool indicates that you understand that you need sufficient square footage for any type of solar heater to work.

Now as for the math, to get 216 square feet you need:

5186 feet of 1/2" O/D pipe (24 linear feet of pipe to get 1 square feet).
3888 feet of 3/4" O/D pipe (18 linear feet of pipe to get 1 square feet).

You are using a mix of both pipes so I guess your numbers would fall somewhat between those 2 numbers. If your pipe is I/D instead of O/D then, its a little less also.

Now you seem to be getting your pipe very cheaply, but around here, 100feet of 1/2" PE pipe goes for around 12$. That is 600$ for 50 rolls plus all the fittings, unions, Tees, Clamps, etc.

On eBay, you can get 3 panels (4 x 20) for around 450$. That will provide you with 240 square feet of panels and can be installed in a few hours instead of days.

I have nothing against DIYer's, I am one myself. I do think however that because of their low cost and simplicity, commercial panels are a better solution for most people.

Here's my setup, it's 4 panels (4 x 12) mounted on the roof of my house. It took me an afternoon with a buddy to complete the installation:

solar-panel-installation-pic-t5823.html

El steak,
I'm not offended, it seems like so many people are out to bash the DIY method, that I'm thinking they work for the solar companies. DIY does work, and it does save money

You are measuring the square footage as if I am running straight hose lines across my roof. When the hose is coiled, we're now talking about a circle, which is pi x radius x radius for area. My coils are 5 feet in diameter, which gives me 19.625 square feet per coil. Now, like I said, there is no way to wind the pipe so tight it makes a perfect circle. There is aproximately a 1 foot empty circle in the middle. That makes .785 square feet to subtract, giving me approximately 18 square feet per coil.

Now, each coil is made with about 100 feet of pipe. That is with 3/4. A little more with 1/2 inch. 1/2 inch seems to work a little better, but I use both because I would need a lot more coils with 1/2 inch to keep the pump pressure from spiking. More water flows throw the 3/4 to keep the pump from bogging down. 4 - 3/4 coils made my pump go from 10 psi to 20. It runs about 13 to 14psi right now with the combination. When I add the rest, the pump pressure should return to close to normal.

As far as prices, if I could get 3- panels from ebay for $420 I would have, but it was gonna be 850 for 3 panels of 4x20. They ran horizontally and I didn't want that. I wanted vertical panels, which at most could be 4x12 on my roof, but with the roof so high, I didn't want to work that close to the edge. So 4 x 10 is what I was looking for. The price for 6 of them with shipping was over $1500. Believe me. I checked craigslist, ebay, the web.....everything for about a month before deciding to DIY. The 1/2 pipe does cost $12 for a roll of 100'. $18 for 3/4. So, for 200' it's $24 plus another 6 for the pvc tees to tie them in, and the conduit to hold them together. Throw in another $4 for 10' of pvc pipe to extend the headers.

If you can give me a link to where I can buy even 4 4x10 panels for $450, I would be all over that, as I could connect them to what I already have.

luckyman_apd said:
You are measuring the square footage as if I am running straight hose lines across my roof. When the hose is coiled, we're now talking about a circle, which is pi x radius x radius for area.

No, I am measuring the square footage covered by the pipe itself. The fact that it's in a spiral, circle, straight line, zig zag or any other shape is not relevant.

- 12 inches of 1/2" O/D pipe covers 6 square inches (12 x 0.5 = 6)
- There are 144 square inches in a square feet (12 x 12)
- Therefore 1 feet of pipe covers 1/24th of a square feet (144 / 6)
- So you need 24 feet of 1/2" O/D pipe to cover up 1 square feet

To get the equivalent of a single 4' x 20' solar panel available for less than 200$ all over the internet, you need to buy 1920 feet of 1/2" pipe (80 x 24).

I'm not saying the pipe coil solution is not going to work, I'm saying why bother when you can get an arguably better solution for the same or less money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
luckyman_apd said:
Look, I can run 100 gallons a minute through a short tube and gain 1/10 of a degree. I can run 10 gallons a minute through the same tube and get a 1 degree gain. Point here is, it's the SAME EFFICIENCY.
in the real world. The rate of thermal transfer to the water increases the higher the temperature difference between the water and the pipe. Let me give an extreme example to prove the point.

It won't be the same efficiency. Say the water is 80 degrees and the pipe is 90 degrees. Further imagine that if I run the water through at 2 GPM it gains 7 degrees. Now I halve the flow rate to 1 GPM. To maintain the same efficiency the water would need to gain 14 degrees. But, the temperature increase can not possibly be larger than 10 degrees, so I can't maintain the same efficiency.

Even if the temperature gain is always within the range of the available temperature difference, it still won't be the same efficiency. Heat transfer goes at a rate proportional to the temperature difference. The higher the temperature difference, the faster the heat transfer. However, the longer the water spends in the tube, the warmer the water gets, the lower the temperature difference, the less heat it gains in the remainder of the pipe.

Solar heating systems are most efficient when the total temperature gain is small compared to the available temperature difference. A typical solar heater is working with temperature differences on the order of 30 degrees. If the water warms up by 10 degrees you have lost about 30% of the available heat transfer in the latter parts of the system. If the water only warms up by 1 degree you have only lost about 3% of the available heat transfer in the latter parts of the system.

Running water through 500 feet of 1/2" tubing limits the flow rate dramatically. Heat gains will be large, but flow rates will be low and system efficiency will be low. A large proportion of the heat will be lost because the water is already warm when it gets to the latter parts of the tube. To counter this, you want to run the water through 10 to 50 feet of many different parallel tubes. Temperature gain is low, but flow rates are high and total efficiency is high, so you get more heat out of each square foot of panel than you do with one longer tube.

For some reason, everyone seems to be anti do it yourself. To clarify for some of the responses I have gotten, my coils are all 100' in length, and I plan to make them 200' max. I understand the efficiency drops the longer the pipe, as the water is already warm. For some reason, people don't understand basic math, that when I have 100' of 3/4 inch pipe in a 5 foot circle makes 19.625 square feet. Subtract the .785 square feet by the empty hole in the center. Size ABSOLUTELY can change area. To make a 4 x 10 pen with 28 feet of fencing, you get 40 square feet. Now take that same fence but make the pen 8 x 6 , and now you have 42 square feet. The more compact you make it, the greater the area you can make. Putting in a straight line is the LEAST effective use of square footage.

As for the longevity of the pipe, it is warranted for 25 years. LONGER than the standard solar panels. PEX does break down under UV light as far as I understand and some polypropylene pipes do as well. These are polyethylene and they are used for outdoor irrigation piping so they have to stand up to the UV rays.

Look, I am not advocating that everyone builds their own solar system. As for wasting money, I don't see it that way. I built each coil for $30 for the 200' rolls. slightly less for the 100' of 3/4. True, I can't match the square footage without putting more work into it than I have time for, but even at the $500 that someone directed me too, I still spent half. I'm not counting the valves, pipe up to the roof or the pipe for the headers, as where I would have to buy that for any solar heater I bought. The fact is, I'm just trying to tell someone who asked what I have done. I'm not here to debate whether mine is better or not. Just an alternative. If your pool is very cold, or in a lot of shade, you're probably better off buying the ones off the internet. If you just need a little boost early in the season like me, than this works perfectly.

By the way, it has been raining here for almost a month, so last Wednesday the pool was 76. We've had sun ever since, and the pool is up to 88 degrees using a solar blanket only at night to help keep the heat. (been using it during the day). I'd say that is a pretty good pick up. I think the warmest outdoor temp was 85 yesterday.

We are very pro DIY. We are trying to help you understand how you can make your system more efficient by spending less money.

Here is a $65 solar panel that will take up less roof space and will most likely heat the pool more quickly than your four coil setup can. This panel only has 20 square feet, but it's efficiency will be many times higher than what you can achieve with 200' coils.

Your fence analogy is not appropriate for solar heating. Only the sunlight falling on the fence (pipe) will contribute heat. The rest of the yard, enclosed by the fence, will not contribute any significant amount of heat. So it really doesn't matter how big the yard is. What matters is the surface area of the pipe.

Assuming four coils, using 200' of 3/4" pipe each, that is 800' of pipe or 50 square feet of pipe surface. You can lay the pipe out on panels that cover a larger area, but the additional area will not transfer heat to the water unless the entire system is enclosed in a glazed box. Even with a glazed box, the additional area will not transfer heat nearly as well as light striking the pipes directly.

luckyman_apd said:
For some reason, people don't understand basic math, that when I have 100' of 3/4 inch pipe in a 5 foot circle makes 19.625 square feet. Subtract the .785 square feet by the empty hole in the center. Size ABSOLUTELY can change area. To make a 4 x 10 pen with 28 feet of fencing, you get 40 square feet. Now take that same fence but make the pen 8 x 6 , and now you have 42 square feet. The more compact you make it, the greater the area you can make. Putting in a straight line is the LEAST effective use of square footage.

Luckyman, your "fence" example explains how to calculate the area of a rectangle using its perimeter. It's a nice example, but unfortunately not related to our discussion.

However, here's how perimeter can apply:

Each feet of 3/4" pipe measures 12inches x 0.75inches. The area covered is therefore 9 square inches.

There are 144 square inches in a square feet so each feet of pipe covers 1/18 square feet.

Now take 100 of those little 1 feet long pieces of pipes and dispose them in any shape you want; a line, a rectangle or a circle, you will always cover about 5.55 square feet (100 x 1/18).

Why do you get a 5 foot diameter circle when you wrap around your 100' of pipe?

Maybe your pipe is larger than 3/4" O/D, maybe there's LOTS of space between each circle of pipe or maybe your pipe is actually much longer than 100'.

Look at it this way, if you start your spiral with a huge 4' diameter empty hole in the middle, each "circle" in the spiral will be over 12 feet long (4 x 3.14) and gradually more as the diameter increases. After just 7 or 8 wraps, you'll have reached the end of your 100' pipe and you won't even have a circle of 5' in diameter yet.

I love DIY'ers...power to you man...if it works for you great :goodjob:

The only item I wanted to bring up is I recall you saying this set-up is for your roof? If so, given the larger OD of the pipe, have you considered the volume of water weight sitting up there...not sure how many home-made panels you are putting up, but just something to consider...good luck with the project :wave:

Luckyman. I'm glad to see it is working for you. I, too, don't have an ideal place to put the commercial panels. I still have only made the one "unit", not having the time to make more just yet. I am planning to make between 4 and 6 coils running in parallel which sit on 4x4 ft plywood bases. The first one is enclosed / glazed. It seems to work quite well and generally raises the water temp 2-4 F. degrees at 180 gal/hr. I am going to make a more simple unglazed one and compare output to see if the extra few dollars and construction time is worth it.

mokabb,

Glad to see you're not a basher. I COMPLETELY understand that dollar for dollar, the commercial panels will no doubt work better and more efficient. My whole point is that one CAN diy, and get good results. As for the glazing, I decided for me it wasn't worth the extra expense and work. My only mistake originally was in the piping. When I ran the pvc from my filter, I connected a tee so the water could go up, or go straight across and divert from the coils. In retrospect, I am going to change that to a elbow, so all the water flows upward first, then add a tee so the diverted water has to turn. I think it will help send water to the coils better without raising the pressure as much.

Let me know how yours works out for you. I have been getting my pool almost to 90 degrees this weeks. Been great weather with lots of sun. What my coils do NOT do yet is heat it enough early in the season, but that may be just because we had 20 days of rain from just after memorial day to the end of last week!

As some of the earlier posts have pointed out some of the problems with the coils, don't make them longer than 250 feet. What size pipe are you using again? I find the 1/2 inch works a little better than the 3/4, but you need more of them to keep your pressure from spiking. More water flows through the 3/4, but I am finding the 1/2 heats more of the water inside the pipe.

Thanks. I bought 500' of 1/2" PEX for ~ $125. I, too, thought that 1/2" would be better than 3/4 in that there would be more surface area per volume to help with the heating. 500' should be enough for ~ 3-4 units, I think. The glazing was polycarbonate (I think) that is often used for greenhouses, etc. $ 20 worth will cover 2 4x4ft "boxes". Right now, I am just using a garden hose to connect my one unit. If I ever get the others built, I will do it more formally with PVC. I'll let you know how it goes. If I could have gotten the same results using commercial panels and saved $100 or so, that doesn't amount to much over 10-20 yrs.

Wow! 500' for $125? That is expensive. You can get 100' rolls at lowes for $12. If you wanted them in one 500' run, you could get the connectors for about 39 cents a piece. Picking up four of those, plus five rolls of the pipe would cost about half what you spent. I spent many hours in the piping isles trying to decide if it was worth it. The 3/4 costs about $20 for the 100'. I would have to agree at that price, I probably would have gone with the commercial panels. Where did you get the pipe from? I noticed your from the Philly burbs. I am too, just on the jersey side. About half way between Philly and AC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.