Please help! Trying to blow out lines

pagreenpool

May 22, 2017
Allentown, PA
A little late closing my pool but trying to get it done. First year doing it myself... thought I was paying attention previous years but I guess not. I am trying to blow out the skimmers first (is that correct?)

With my multi valve in closed, I can't build up and air pressure. I hear gurgling in my d.e. filter tank, which is odd because it should be empty of water with the drain off.

I can't get any bubbles out of any of any skimmers or the main drain. I have my compressor at around 40psi. In previous years the guy who closed my pools used a compressor and didn't seem to have any problem.

Shouldn't this be working? Odd that I am hearing gurgling in the filter tank? There are two drains on the pump assembly, doesn't seem to matter which one to use right?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_130714608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130714608_HDR.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20191107_130720266_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130720266_HDR.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20191107_130726530.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130726530.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20191107_130738796.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130738796.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191107_130748962_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130748962_HDR.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20191107_130752772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130752772_HDR.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20191107_130809378.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130809378.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20191107_130813391.jpg
    IMG_20191107_130813391.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 18
Put your MPV on RECIRCULATE to take your filter out of the loop.

Put your MPV on RECIRCULATE to take your filter out of the loop.

I've been struggling with this... with the MPV on recirculate it should take the filter out of the loop right? However it's not. Air is still getting in to the filter. To blow out the supply/suction side I had to plug up the pump. Now I moved that plug to the pump basket inlet side to secure the supply side and am trying to blow out the jets. I've taken the top off my d.e. filter and air is getting in the pipe (that is the gurgling sound I have been hearing). With air escaping like that, I can't pressurize the system to blow out the lines. The only way I can get some air in to the jets is to put my hand over the filter pipe. I don't have a plug big enough to plug it up. but something isn't right?

Video: VID_20191107_161518356.mp4

You may have blown out the MPV spider gasket with the air pressure and the MPV in the closed position. There was no need for more then about 5 psi to blow out lines.

I would remove the union between the chlorinator and the return Jandy valve and blow out the returns from that point.

You may have blown out the MPV spider gasket with the air pressure and the MPV in the closed position. There was no need for more then about 5 psi to blow out lines.

I would remove the union between the chlorinator and the return Jandy valve and blow out the returns from that point.

Thanks. I'll open up the MPV tomorrow and see if that was the case. I was trying a couple different tecniques with the compressor including "building up" the pressure then attaching it with the 40psi.

If I have to remove the union between the chlorinator and valve, no way to use a compressor for that, right? Would have to use shopvac?

If I have to remove the union between the chlorinator and valve, no way to use a compressor for that, right? Would have to use shopvac?

What do you think the difference is between a compressor and the shopvac?

What do you think the difference is between a compressor and the shopvac?
If you can plug the pipe in filter you may be able to get what you need to do and worry about the spider gasket some other time

I replaced the spider gasket last year. I think the main thing I am misunderstanding is, are you able to redirect air with these valves? Because I can't seem to isolate any of my lines. Doing what ajw22 suggested, I removed the union and used the shop vac to blow directly in to the return lines. No matter which way I turn the jandy valves, weak air is coming out of all the lines.

I have 4 returns, and I used these:
To try to make the closing easier... however I don't know if it's helping or hurting. I replaced all 4 with these and started isolating using the jandy valves. But like i said above, no matter the position I can't get a nice stream of air to come out. I am getting some bubbles, but not much. I guess I will plug up the other three with regular plugs and go for one at a time. I even popped open the jandy valves to make sure everything was ok.

I guess my bottom of the line question is, can the pool valves handle air? Because it seems like my multi port valve or my jandy valves can't direct air without it escaping in to other parts of the valve.

Attachments

• IMG_20191108_115757779_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191108_115757779_HDR.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 8
All you are going to get from a shop vac are some bubbles. For serious closing it takes a Cyclone air blower

If you are getting bubbles from the Bungee Plug then you close the Jandy valve and airlock the line, While you have likely not cleared all the water out the ere is enough air in the line for any ice to expand into and not break a pipe.

All you are going to get from a shop vac are some bubbles. For serious closing it takes a Cyclone air blower

If you are getting bubbles from the Bungee Plug then you close the Jandy valve and airlock the line, While you have likely not cleared all the water out the ere is enough air in the line for any ice to expand into and not break a pipe.

Thanks for your help. I'm still a little confused on one issue. Can the jandy valves handle air without leaking? I installed these bungee plugs in my 4 returns. I wasn't able to redirect air to winterize them one at a time. My thought was the air pressure wasn't enough to fully open the bungee plug and so air was getting backed up and slipping around the jandy valve. The odd thing is the bubble strength was the same on all the returns. I'm really baffled by it. I even opened the jandy valves to make sure everything was working right.

I ended up removing all the bungee plugs and installed regular plugs, then one by one installed the bungee plugs to force all the air to that location.

So my question is, when you guys close are you able to use the jandy valves to redirect the air or do you install plugs every where to stop the air then winterize one at a time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So my question is, when you guys close are you able to use the jandy valves to redirect the air or do you install plugs every where to stop the air then winterize one at a time?

I don't have a multiple Jandy valve setup like you do and have not used Bungee plugs to have first hand experience. We will see if others do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.