Please help! Pump lid totally stuck!

DeanaR

Apr 15, 2020
Uk
Hi everyone!
so first of all I am a complete pool novice so please dumb down answers to suit ?
attached you will see a picture of my pump, it’s in desperate need of a clean but is completely stuck.
i am aware this has been asked a few times but mallets haven’t worked and there’s not much room for big tools. I have seen some people mention relieving pressure from the pump but have no idea how to do this so any help is greatly appreciated! 1A125040-C7B3-46A4-B7DE-A131E7BA60DC.jpeg

It may be easier to provide a photo or brand/model number of yours. Here's an example of what a filter looks like:
View attachment 132879
Sorry! I thought you meant on the pump. My filter is a sand filter, looks quite old and has more or less no labels on. Will attach a pic for reference. I will take a picture of the whole set up so you can see everything I have. Thanks for your help.

Sorry! I thought you meant on the pump. My filter is a sand filter, looks quite old and has more or less no labels on. Will attach a pic for reference. I will take a picture of the whole set up so you can see everything I have. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 26

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would use a foot long 2x4 (or any piece of scrap size that fits the tab and the rest of the stuff in the way ) against the plastic tab and gently hit the scrap with a hammer. A few light taps should do ( counter clockwise / lefty loose-y ). but I would increase the force if need be a little at a time.

Last edited:
The sand filter is above the pump. So there is some water pressure from it just due to elevation. Plus, when you remove that lid, the entire contents of that filter is coming out of pump basket all over that room. I suppose that has always happened, just be aware of it.

The sand filter is above the pump. So there is some water pressure from it just due to elevation. Plus, when you remove that lid, the entire contents of that filter is coming out of pump basket all over that room. I suppose that has always happened, just be aware of it.
No I wasn’t aware of that, thanks for the heads up! Is there any way to stop that happening? If it’s just going to pour onto the floor I’m not too fussed but is it about to hit me in the face? Stupid questions I know but as I said, complete newbie to pool life here haha.

It won't hit you in the face. Turn the MPV (that changes to filter, waste, etc) to waste and that will drain off some of the water.

Reactions: DeanaR
Once the system is turned-off, if you place the multiport valve position to CLOSED, it may help prevent gravity-fed water from getting to the open pump basket lid. Once you finally do wrestle that lid off, don't forget to apply some silicone pool lube to the O-ring in hopes to prevent ti from getting stuck next time.

I don't see an air bleeder. Try this. As Casey suggested, find a piece of wood, stick, or pipe (I see a piece of white PVC pipe tucked behind your filter and the wall) and give it a good counter-clockwise twist...
View attachment 132889
It won't hit you in the face. Turn the MPV (that changes to filter, waste, etc) to waste and that will drain off some of the water.
thank you for your help yesterday! I am finally into my pump and it is now lovely and clean agin! I tried the tapping, the heating with a hair dryer, the hot water all to no avail, I got in using a large metal spirit level to give me leverage. Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
full

I got in using a large metal spirit level to give me leverage.
Nice work. The pump lid should NEVER be more than just snug or hand tight.

If you put it back on with leverage from a tool, then take it back off and hand tighten only. Suction will hold it in place, not overtightening the threads.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.