Please HELP! Pool leak with mud coming through the light niche

TC68

May 13, 2021
Virginia
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice but at this point I am pretty exhausted from our pool situation. We had an 18x34 vinyl liner pool installed late last year with two lights. It leaked from the beginning for about 4 weeks and it was determined it was both lights that the threads were stripped on some of the screws. Finally solved the issue and we closed it for the winter. Opened the pool this year and all was going well and we thought our problems were over. Well, a deer jumped the fence and got in the pool tearing holes in the liner all around. The pool guy ordered a new liner the middle of June and installed with some issues with the lights again. Here we go leaking again. He let it leak for about 5 weeks saying it was evaporation before my husband finally started draining it down under each trouble areas ( skimmer, jets, etc) and then waiting 24 hours before draining more to finally find our light was indeed leaking again. He called our pool guy and told him about it and he picked up a new seal and the day he was coming to fix the light we had a storm and mud started coming through the light and filling what water was left in the pool. At this point the soil moved and the conduit cracked where it goes to the niche. You can definitely see through the hole the conduit has sheered off and dropped to the bottom of the hole. He said all he could do since he can not get behind it to fix the light is to cover it and put the liner over top of it and do away with the light. He assured us the dirt behind this wall is fine and will not cause an issue so we agreed and we are waiting on a liner. This morning we had another storm and mud is coming in the empty pool again. I am terrified this has caused issues behind the pool walls that I can not see. Where in the world is this water coming from when the pool has been drained for 3 weeks and not leaking any more?

Last edited:
So the assumption is that the sand/mud is seeping back into the niche & pool via the broken conduit correct? But you mentioned the tech was going to cover the entire opening right? Or was he going to just plug the conduit hole itself? I don't see any type of plug or repair as of yet, but the sooner the better because losing that much water behind the shell and liner is not good.

As for the source of the water since the pool level has been down ...... I suspect your water table or surrounding drainage paths just underground. Water is making its way to the pool area no doubt, so the entire area is probably over-saturated. I suppose you don't have any drainage, well points, or sump pump traps under/around the pool?

So the assumption is that the sand/mud is seeping back into the niche & pool via the broken conduit correct? But you mentioned the tech was going to cover the entire opening right? Or was he going to just plug the conduit hole itself? I don't see any type of plug or repair as of yet, but the sooner the better because losing that much water behind the shell and liner is not good.

As for the source of the water since the pool level has been down ...... I suspect your water table or surrounding drainage paths just underground. Water is making its way to the pool area no doubt, so the entire area is probably over-saturated. I suppose you don't have any drainage, well points, or sump pump traps under/around the pool?
Yes, his plan is to do away with the light and plug the back of the niche, cover the niche and replace the liner. We do have channel drains on the side of the pool toward the house but on this end of the pool we do not have drains.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.