Please help me pick a VS pump

Meadow

Jun 10, 2016
Temecula, CA
Looking forward to upgrade our 1HP single speed pool pump to a VS. However, there are too many to choose from. Enough to make my head spin! Thought I should ask the experienced member for a recommendation.
The housing on the existing motor rusted out due to negligence by the previous owner. The motor still runs fine but I donÂ’t want to wait until it dies. And since I am a SCE customer, I would like to take advantage of their rebate program.

Unfortunately, I am on a budget and not looking for the top contenders but perhaps a direct replacement to my existing 2” pipe would be nice. My existing control panel has nothing but power distribution and a mechanical timer. Right now, upgrade is not an option.

In addition to the VS pump, I would like to install an electrically controlled gate valve (if available) to point “A” as shown in the pic. The 1.5” gate valve must be in close position at all times and fully open when the VS is at full speed to circulate the water in the raised spa. I am thinking of using a separate timer or perhaps tied to the VS aux contacts if possible.

I am an average DIYÂ’er and confident with plumbing and basic electrical works. My SWCG is less than a year old and was self-installed. TIA

Re: Update...

I went ahead and bought the Hayward Tristar SP3202VSP along with PS3000 SPD.
Depending on how much water pressure is needed (in my case) to trigger the flow switch, adding a shut off valve in point "A" may come later. Not sure if looking at the water bouncing in the spillway will grow on me. Trying to consider an actuator or 1.5" sprinkler head for that. Either way, calls for a separate timer and PSU.

Weekend project here I come :)

@deanP66... thank you!

Re: SP3202VSP up and running...

Replacing the old pump took me like forever because the new replacement pump has a slightly bigger footprint.

To my dissatisfaction, the SP3202VSP runs louder at high speed compare to my 17 years old Century single speed pump that I replaced with. But then again, my neighbor's 2 months old Pentair VS pump runs even louder. Guess that's just how it is now with the latest technology!

The swcg flow switch works fine @ 1200 rpm. However, I had it set to run at 1400 rpm just to get the spillway going. The motor runs pretty quiet at low speed. Just can't figure out a way on how to remove the debris from the basket, though. They seem to flow back in the suction line each time I attempted to open the lid. :scratch:
Overall, I'm quite happy with the installation. Now, I am expecting for my new electrical bills to put a big smile on my face :smile:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.