Please help! I'm so frustrated!

babytoes

Jul 28, 2016
St. Albans, Vermont
Hi everyone,
Our pool is an above ground 15,000 gallon. The FC is holding steady (since yesterday its been the same) at 15, the PH is 7.5, CYA is 30. Two weeks ago our son pooped in it (again! 🤬) I slammed it up to about 12 FC for about 24 hrs. It started to get green even though the FC was holding steady but then, over the following week it got cool out and rained a lot. I sort of neglected the pool, it was covered and every time I checked the water the FC was in normal range (5-8). Last weekend I pulled the cover back a bit and it was dark green all over the bottom. We checked all the stats and CYA was at 0, so over the next couple days we got it up to 30, and hit it hard with chlorine. It still looks like garbage, cloudy, greenish tinge. I'm so frustrated I feel like I work so hard to keep this pool clean and it is always fighting me. I struggle constantly and quite frankly, I'm over it!
I do not understand how the FC could be holding at 15 for more than 24hrs when the bottom is covered in algae.
I vacuumed today and the water is so cloudy I feel like I'm fighting an endless battle. Any help would be great, we have the TF-100 kit. My husband did loads of reading this forum when we bought the house. But battling algae every year is becoming my demise.

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 23
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP! :wave: So you know about our SLAM term, but are you actually following the SLAM Process page? That's important for it to work. How are you testing the water? That question will always come up since you don't have the test kit in your signature. Now might be a good time to add it and all of your pool details. If you fill from a well, make note of that too.

During a SLAM Process, you should pull that ladder and leave it out. Inspect/clean it as well. They can hold algae in there too. Algae won't survive for long when the FC is at the proper SLAM level for your CYA. In your case, if the CYA is 30, the FC should be maintained at 12, then follow all the details on the SLAM Process page. Stick with it. It works.

Reactions: babytoes
Hi everyone,
Our pool is an above ground 15,000 gallon. The FC is holding steady (since yesterday its been the same) at 15, the PH is 7.5, CYA is 30. Two weeks ago our son pooped in it (again! 🤬) I slammed it up to about 12 FC for about 24 hrs. It started to get green even though the FC was holding steady but then, over the following week it got cool out and rained a lot. I sort of neglected the pool, it was covered and every time I checked the water the FC was in normal range (5-8). Last weekend I pulled the cover back a bit and it was dark green all over the bottom. We checked all the stats and CYA was at 0, so over the next couple days we got it up to 30, and hit it hard with chlorine. It still looks like garbage, cloudy, greenish tinge. I'm so frustrated I feel like I work so hard to keep this pool clean and it is always fighting me. I struggle constantly and quite frankly, I'm over it!
I do not understand how the FC could be holding at 15 for more than 24hrs when the bottom is covered in algae.
I vacuumed today and the water is so cloudy I feel like I'm fighting an endless battle. Any help would be great, we have the TF-100 kit. My husband did loads of reading this forum when we bought the house. But battling algae every year is becoming my demise.
SLAM is not a 24 hour thing. Algae may be coming back so often because you need to hold it there much longer than 24 hours. It needs to be held there until the algae is gone. Follow the process listed on the page above. It works.

SLAM is not a 24 hour thing. Algae may be coming back so often because you need to hold it there much longer than 24 hours. It needs to be held there until the algae is gone. Follow the process listed on the page above. It works.
I haven't been slamming it for 24 hours, it's been holding an FC of 15 for the past 24 hrs. I've been slamming for about 3 days, but now the chlorine isn't dropping, yet the pool is green 🤷‍♀️

I haven't been slamming it for 24 hours, it's been holding an FC of 15 for the past 24 hrs. I've been slamming for about 3 days, but now the chlorine isn't dropping, yet the pool is green 🤷‍♀️
A SLAM can take several weeks if there’s a lot of algae in it. Make sure you’re brushing it every day and cleaning the filter every day as well. Once the algae is dead after 24-48 hours, vacuuming or filtering the dead algae out can take time.

A SLAM can take several weeks if there’s a lot of algae in it. Make sure you’re brushing it every day and cleaning the filter every day as well. Once the algae is dead after 24-48 hours, vacuuming or filtering the dead algae out can take time.
Should I keep the cover off? Also, if there's any algae on the ladder will that cause blooms once the pool clears? I'm wondering if the ladder is why I'm always fighting blooms.

Should I keep the cover off? Also, if there's any algae on the ladder will that cause blooms once the pool clears? I'm wondering if the ladder is why I'm always fighting blooms.
If you are following the SLAM process, you’ll want the cover off for several hours each day to let sunlight burn off CC’s. If the cover or ladder has any algae on them, it needs to be cleaned off since it can allow it to grow back.

Ladders can be tricky. See if you can open-up the steps and supports. No well I take it? Have you added anything else to the water in the past other than liquid chlorine (regular bleach, acid, or stabilizer? Anything else we should know about?

Ladders can be tricky. See if you can open-up the steps and supports. No well I take it? Have you added anything else to the water in the past other than liquid chlorine (regular bleach, acid, or stabilizer? Anything else we should know about?
Only Stabilizer to get the CYA up. I'm going to pull the ladder out tomorrow and wash it down, I'll try to get into all the nooks and crannies.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I vacuumed today and did a backwash. The water was a little low so I had to add more, we have city water and it's treated. I'm going to check the FC again tomorrow morning.
Have you checked on your filter to make sure its running properly? What kind of filter is it? We have sand and i just had to change the sand not realizing it had been 7 years since i had changed it last.

We have sand and i just had to change the sand not realizing it had been 7 years since i had changed it last.
FYI -- sand in a sand filter never needs to be changed unless corrupted by pool store potions such as clarifier and/or floc.

FYI -- sand in a sand filter never needs to be changed unless corrupted by pool store potions such as clarifier and/or floc.
the sand was worn down so much it was coming out of the return we think. i was always told to change sand in filter every 5 years. Doesnt it get worn down over time? Even Hayward the company that makes the filters says the following:

When do I need to replace my sand?​

• On average, sand should be replaced every 3-5 years. This may be longer if the pool stays clear, or shorter, if the filter runs all the time. The jagged edges of the sand wear down and become smooth as the sand ages. When this happens the sand can no longer trap debris particles and dirt can pass through the sand and back into the pool.
  • If the pool is chemically balanced, the system is running the proper length of time and the bather load is normal, but the water will not clear, even using a flocculant or clarifier, then the sand needs changing.
  • As the sand ages, it may start to clump and the water flow can form channels in the sand, allowing the debris to pass through. Channeling is often seen when the pump horsepower is too large and wants to move too much water through the filter.

Sand is millions of years old. Your filter is a benign environment for it. Nice they say that. Reality is different.

I think I'm making progress!! I just checked the FC and it was back down to about 9-10, so added another 1/4 of the bottle of Chlorine. The pool was starting look better, not so aqua a tad clearer. I swept, as a nice thunderstorm loomed its dark fingers in my direction :oops:... smallish green clouds puffed up from the broom, but they weren't that noticeable until they were swept, so I think that might mean I could part of the problem. I don't sweep on a regular basis, but after reading some of the pool basics I think that could cause a lot of problems. Should I be sweeping once a week? Twice a week? what about vacuuming?

Should I be sweeping once a week?
A pool, especially an above ground pool, needs to be either brushed or swam in often. Circulation is poor in these pools and both brushing and swimming mix the water and disturb any algal colonies on the floor or walls.

Vacuuming is based on dirt and your desire to how clean the pool needs to be.

An auto cleaner/robot helps a lot.

Reactions: babytoes
Your pool looks great. Please make sure you can pass an OCLT before you stop the SLAM. Prematurely stopping can lead you back to a murky mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.