Lemonhead

Jun 3, 2020
Middletown NY-211
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
A pool guy told me that this particular store has the most high tech pool water tester around. I took a sample their and they had these results
Fc- 1.37
Tc-1.86
Cc-0.49
Hardness- 125
Ph-7.9
Everything else was considered ok so I didn’t list. But they wanted me to buy shock and ph down and and calcium increaser which was expensive stuff.
Here’s my results from the tf-100
Fc-2.5
Cc-o.5
Tc-3.0
Ch-225
This has me thinking a lot. First off the ph test I use is always inconclusive. I can’t tell the color to anything on my chart. I’m referring to the taylor drop test kit that came with my tf-100. So I’ll assume that could possibly be true ( their analysis) . But my tf-100 numbers for cc are always as follows. After I add the 5 drops of R-0003 it turns the slightest pink. Than 1 drop R-0871 always makes it crystal cleAr again . But their analysis says my cc at 0.49 is too high. Why is my cc so high ? Am I overthinking this ? Also according to my calcium hardness test I’m fine but they wanted to sell me alot of stuff to fix that.
What’s your guys opinion on all this . My brain is spinning

Ignore all pool store tests. Add an extra drop or two to your pH test to make it easier to match. You are just trying to match the redness/yellowness, not the exact shade.

The difference in CC (0.49 vs 0.5) is within margin of error for any test ... don't sweat it. A CC of 0.5 is the lowest indication you can even read.; Bring your FC up a bit for a couple days and the CC will disappear.
If you've got a vinyl liner in your AG pool, I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium either.

I struggle with telling the pH with the color tests. You may want to consider a pH probe. You can get a decent one for ~$75... jtakes the guesswork out of it.
Overall, I'd say you're doing good.

Respectfully,

I got a nice little pH meter from Amazon for $12.99
Just make sure to get a couple of 250 ml plastic bottles to make up the 6.86 and 9.something standards so you can calibrate it. USE DISTILLED WATER FOR THE STANDARDS! Do your calibration once a month, keep the electrode clean, and you're in business.

What's your CYA? How are you chlorinating? Your FC is pretty low. Use the FC/CYA Levels to figure out what your FC should be based on your CYA, and do your best to keep it in that range.

Do you follow the FC/CYA chart (see my signature if you need)?

A FC of 2.5 is either flirting with the minimum FC or below the minimum depending on your CYA. Bump up your FC and I bet your CC goes away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.