Aggie_aloha

Apr 3, 2018
Rowlett, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just got quote #1 from PB to resurface our pool (dallas area). I asked him to walk me through the process and he mentioned that they would just chisel around fixtures to be flush, spray it with 5000 psi washer, check for hollow plaster, apply coat of bond and 2 coats of new plaster trowel. When asked if they should remove to shell then replaster, he said he could do whatever I wanted, but price doubled to include the removal. Pool was built in 1997 and he said it looked fairly new (I told him we were resurfacing bc the plaster was breaking apart). I have concerns of longevity of only skim coating it. Most threads on here talk about 90% removal. Are my concerns warranted or is this an acceptable method that would still last me 10+ years?

TIA

Yes, your concerns are warranted. You say your plaster is breaking up. It would be difficult to impossible for the builder to determine all the loose plaster by tapping on it. And plaster not loose now may loosen in time.

Your new plaster is only as good as the base it is on.

I would strongly suggest that you remove all the old plaster and then resurface with new plaster. It may seem like a lot $$ now but will be worth it in the long run. They should chisel the whole pool. You do not need to remove the water tiles unless you are planning to change those as well.
Also, ensure your PB is an authorized installer of whatever new plaster you are putting in. This ensures your warranty is valid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.