Plaster Repair

TheGoose

May 15, 2012
SE Texas
About 6 years ago I had my 20,000 gallon IG gunite pool replastered. At the end of this last summer I noticed that I had two places where the plaster was cracking badly and ended up having a "pothole" in the plaster (shallow pothole!). I would say the area is about 2-3' in diameter and only as deep as the plaster was thick. The bad places are not really near each other. I suspect that this is the area they jack hammered through when they were doing the plaster for the hydro static relief. The company that did my work is a large Houston pool replaster company. I contacted them but the warranty was for two years.

I really don't want to spend a large amount of money repairing the plaster. I think out time with the pool is winding down and I'm considering filling it in. It would be a shame to do that right now as the rest of the pool is in decent shape and the plaster overall is in decent shape.

Does anybody know of any way I can buy a small amount of plaster (either pre-mix or other) that I can use to repair these spots? I would of course plan on draining the pool. It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like something to last 1-3 more years.

Thank you for your knowledge. I have some pictures of the plaster and holes but they didn't turn out real well as the bad places are under ~4-5' of water.

TheGoose

May 15, 2012
SE Texas
Here is a picture of what the bad spot looks like. I'm guesstimating that it's about the size of a basketball in diameter. Hard to say exactly since it's 4-5 ft underwater. Excuse the grass etc, I had just finished mowing and hadn't yet cleaned the clippings.

Attachments

pooldv

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2012
FL panhandle
Sure, just chip out any loose material first. Or, if the pool isn't leaking just live with it. It won't hurt anything to just leave it.