Plaster mottling OK?

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
The pasterers finished yesterday and I began filling right away. The pool is about 2/3rds full now, but the plaster is very mottled. The parts that are submersed are just as mottled, but I had trouble photographing it with the reflections. Will this go away after a bit, or is something wrong?

Q1pjxOy.jpg

The mottling will not completely go away. It is pretty normal. It may change some as the plaster cures.

Thanks. That's weird that I've never noticed it in any pools I've been in. The plaster surface reminds me of cellulite when the pool light is on. I'm trying not to be too anal about it, but it looks kind of bad.

For the most part, it’s the unique fingerprint of your hand plastered pool. You never noticed it anywhere else as you were preoccupied with enjoying a good time. But go out to your own free of anything else to keep you occupied and WHAM when you turn the light on. It’s the defectfinder9000. It will also let you see every spec of sand/dirt when it needs a cleaning.

No two are the same and they range from barely noticeable to disappointing. I hope you can eventually reconcile yours as having more character and less of a defect. :)

Compare *anything* from 40 years ago and the craftsmanship and pride in one’s work went downhill for the most part.

I’m not defending it, and certainly not happy about it either, but it is what it is. :(

I think a lot of it is how the contracting profession has evolved. I think there were more actual craftsman back then. Now it's mostly whatever cheapest labor they can find with predictable results.

Maybe I'll take a cue from my employer next time and specify that no subs are allowed on my job unless they pay the prevailing wage for their trade. That will filter out a lot of the guys farming it out to cheap laborers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it helped that our builder was there on the first plaster day. As they neared finishing I know he made them make a couple changes (things he pointed out) and they fixed whatever issues he had. What those issues were I do not know as I did not hear the discussion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.