DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi! We are finally in the home stretch of our build. We are scheduled for plaster Monday, acid wash & fill to start on Tuesday. Then Wednesday or Thursday the guy will come out to show me how to operate everything, talk about the water chemistry, etc. Should I just ignore his chemistry teachings & go with my test kit or let him get going then start testing te next day with my kit? I did a search & couldn’t find any “first time start up for dummies”. Thanks for any help!

Order you test kit right now. Do not pass go, order your test kit. Get the TF-100.

Read this.

And this

BTW. Read this to help get an accurate pool volume.

There is soooo much more I am forgetting. You have a great opportunity to get this right the first time, please do it. Most of us are here because we messed up.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
Apologies, I should have said: I did order my TF-100, so I’m ready in that regard! I will read those articles. Thanks!

Just look at the builder during any chemical speeches, nod politely, and let it go. Do keep a notepad handy and write down any products they dump in the water on day one of fill. Remember the SWG won't be used for the first 30 days, so start shopping for liquid chlorine now. Probably no stabilizer until day 3, but be ready. If he puts pucks in the skimmer, remove them when he leaves and use a floater. Take notes about any plaster start-up tasks he mentions and compare to the info posted above. You can always clarify any issues later. Congrats! :swim:

Reactions: PoolNewbRN
  • Love
Reactions: proavia
See if your builder will label all the valve handles for you. You will need to know which ones to shut off/on for different procedures and keep detailed notes of the steps for maintenance procedures (cleaning the pump filter basket, backwashing, draining to waste, etc). Also ask the builder to show you where all the drain plugs are, so that if we get another freeze like last winter, you know what to drain to keep your equipment safe. The chemical stuff you can learn here, and I advise only using the methods here.

So I tested water from the faucet that will fill the pool. Do I do anything with these reaults?

FC 1.5
pH 7.8
CH 275
TA 460

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the teacher in me..........go to this link:

You tell me which one needs work. Once you do we will talk about how to "fix" it. It will be easy to do when you are done and filled with water.

Here is the teacher in me..........go to this link:

You tell me which one needs work. Once you do we will talk about how to "fix" it. It will be easy to do when you are done and filled with water.
Fair request! Question: I have a SWG, but since I’m going to be using liquid chlorine for the first month (right??), do I enter liquid chlorine or SWG on that link?

GREAT question! Go with what you are using at the moment. During the burrrrr times you will also be using liquid chlorine as SWG do not work under 60 or so degrees.
FC 1.5
CYA 20 (not sure I understood this test accurately, but will go with this for now) too low so would need to add
pH 7.8 - on high end of acceptable
CH 275 - too low so would need to add calcium chloride
TA 460 - too high so would need to add acid to lower this number, then aerate so pH can get back in balance.

I have the pool math app so it gave me amounts, but I’m waiting until I get the gallons after we fill tomorrow.

am I on the right track?

You are here on TFP so you’re already on the right track. Nice job!

Your TA may be high only b/c the reagent R-009 has a static charge that makes the drops really small. Do the TA test again but wipe the R-009 tip before each drop so the drops can properly form. Then post your TA results again.

am I on the right track?
Heck yeah !!! And welll done.

Fc needs up, Pronto
CYA also very important, will protect valuable FC from the TX sun, so this is pronto.
PH is fine for now. Adjust at 7.0 and 8.0. There is no better 7 #.
CH can wait. See how you do with evap and fill water.
TA usually gets false high reads like stated above. Try again. If you need to lower it, you have the idea down well. (y)

Gold Star GIF by Mailchimp
Here is your GOLD STAR!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.