Plaster Coming

Don't bother even trying to adjust TA until it has been a full month since the plaster was applied. The key thing is to make sure you keep the PH under control, and that will also keep the TA from getting out of hand (acid lowers both PH and TA, though it doesn't affect TA nearly as much).

Grr...

One of the pool builder's employee came over Tuesday to acid wash the deck and start working on the "punch list" to finish up the pool. Since the pool is still "thiers" they have been maintaining it. But unfortunatly He didn't talk with the guys that started it up 10 days ago, and since I wasn't home he didn't know I've been checking the chem levels in the pool.

1. The guys that started the pool equipment added stabalizer
2. The CYA was at 60 after this
3. He uses strips to test (REALLY?!)

So he thought the pool didn't have any stabilizer in it. So he added some.

For a week I've had PERFECT numbers
FC - 4-6
CC - 0-0.5
PH - 7.2-7.8
TA - 100-110
CA - 200-230
CYA - 60 (a little high, but it's a small pool that spends 12 hrs in full sun)

Yeah, He came yesterday when I was home and I talked with him and found out about the stabilizer.
My numbers this morning?

FC - 9
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.2-7.5
TA - 130
CA - 210
CYA - 100+ GROAN!

I JUST FILLED THIS POOL!!
WHINE...

not asking what to do just whining

Wow that stinks!

The only way to lower the CYA, which you have to do, is to partial drain and refill. A least the problem can be fixed but it will cost both time and money. I'd tell them to leave it alone and they can save on their strips :whip:

Honestly you have gotten so good at testing that you should consider doing it yourself long term. It's really not a big deal. I mean it's nice to have someone come every 2 weeks or whatever to skim some leaves out but you have to be able to trust that they wont mess things up.

No matter what he should have known the CYA before adding more.

Technically it's not "my" pool yet since it's still under construction, so the pool builder has his guy checking on it.

Now the part that burns me is that BOTH the pool builder and his guy agree that bleach is best. Pol builder was happy I was picking up a 100 kit. But his guy was using strips and he put one in (I'm guessing here since I wasn't home) and since the strip say 0 (that's what he claimed, when I chocked choked when he said he added stabilizer) he added some.

I'm ******
Hubby says no use crying over spilt milk, we add an inch or two of water every week (did I mention lots and lots of sun?) And if we can keep our cc's at zero and the fc high enough and the ph in range then the cya will drop over time (since we constantly have to add water). It will just cost us more in bleach.

Yes he's very reasonable, calm and level headed. Me? Yeah not feeling it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thanks to those who have been reading my saga.

I've been slowly replacing the water in my pool (using the polaris hose to water the garden) I've drained it twice to below the skimmer (so out of the 50% I need to drain I've probably replaced 12%).

Anyways I'm having a "problem" with my readings, and I'm wondering what it might mean.

1. The pool is sparkling and the water is clear.
2. Before I started replacing the water I took a full set of the tests.

Test score before drain (taken on 6/2):

FC: 6ppm (low for my CYA)
CC: 0.5ppm
PH: 7.8
TA: 140 (high, I've been adding Acid and aerating to bring it back up)
CA: 240
CYA: 120 (had to use the 1/2 and 1/2 method to get approx value)

Now I know the Min FC value for CYA of 120 is 9 FC and since took the test I've kept the FC at above 9

Here is my issue:

Last night
FC: 11.5
CC: 0.5

I added bleach to bring the FC to 16

When I woke up this morning the FC was 13.5 and CC were still 0.5. So I'm losing chlorine overnight

Can you lose chlorine without creating CC?

I'm figuring the recommendation will be to Shock, and keep it there until:

1. Water is clear (it is)
2. Overnight FC loss is <1
3. CC are <0.5 (it is)

and that will be my course of action, but what can be eating my chlorine without producing CC?

Can you lose chlorine without creating CC?

Chlorine goes down by itself, even overnight. Sunlight, wind, rain, and organic material in the pool all break it down. Organic material includes stuff from swimmers, leaves, bugs, pollen, dirt. Chlorine loss doesn't mean you will have CC. The goal is to never have CC and the way to do that is to let the pool consume chlorine by constantly replenishing it.

Did you test and get the 16ppm at night or is that what you estimated based on what you added?

Maybe it did not go up to 16 and you did not loose as much as you think.

And yes you can loose FC without gaining CC ... actually FC helps break down the CC.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

Re: Plaster Coming - trying to keep the water balanced now.

Actually tested.

Anyways we drained the pool to the second step (watered the front yard, believe it or not it was a long time before the water made it to the street the trees and grass were thirsty)

After we got it refilled I measured again, since the CYA was measured at night I'm hoping this morning it will be less.

Last night numbers were:
FC: 5.5
CC: 0
PH:7.8
TA: 130 (high I know, but I've also read on here to wait a month before trying to control this too much)
CA: 180 (we were at 240 but lost a lot to the drain)
CYA: 70 (we were hoping for less then 60, if it's really that high then the last drop will have to happen due to splash out)

So for now we are going to try and keep out FC between 8-5. Luckily since our CA is so low we can use calcium stabilized chlorine tabs to control everything for a bit. (or is that a really bad idea?)

I'm going to have to replace a few reagents in my kit after this adventure.

Realize that CH will continue to rise due to evaporation. If you have some Cal hypo, I suppose you could use it, but calculate how much CH will go up. I would not go out of my way to buy it if you do not already have it.

Only the water evaporates the calcium it in the water stays in the pool. So adding more water is adding more calcium.

Hi Nalai,
Really glad I found your post! We are also in Houston and in the process of building our pool right now. We also have decided on Diamond Brite Oyster Quartz and your pictures have confirmed it for us! Are you happy with Oyster Quartz?
Also, love your flagstone - you wouldnt happen to remember the name of the flagstone or where you got it in Houston?
Thanks so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.