Planning for a new vinyl liner...

Apr 24, 2015
Long Island, NY
Hey All,

Well, my first season as a pool owner is winding down. Thank you TFP members for helping me through the process and giving me the confidence to maintain the pool myself. Closing of the pool is scheduled for next week and I'm planning on replacing my vinyl liner next season. I thought it would be prudent to get a head start on the process so I've gotten a couple of quotes ($4,500 from my pool guy and $3,400 from a competitor). Figuring it might be a good idea to order the liner now so I don't run into a situation next year where local installers are booked and/or items are backordered, out-of-stock, etc.

Both quotes are for an "all in" install which includes new skimmer facings and gaskets, light gaskets, return jets and gaskets, etc. Extras may include "de-waterization" if the water table interferes with the installation. First quote was for $1,800 and the other quote was for $700 or higher depending on the situation and how high the water table is. I've been offered liner options from Merlin, Loop Loc or Dover.

So, my questions are:

1.) From the above choices, which brand of liner would you all recommend?

2.) What other questions, if any, should I ask to make sure I've got all my bases covered?

3.) The quote disparity between the two pool companies is considerable. It should be noted that the $4,500 quote was a verbal quote over the phone and the cheaper price was for a detailed, written quote. Do these price quotes I've received seem reasonable or should I get others?

Pool is pictured below.

Thanks in advance, folks. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

pool.jpg

Without knowing the exact measurements of your pool I find it difficult to see how the installer came up with the $3,400 price quote. There are multiple different items that can quickly add up, so take his "quote" with a grain of salt. It's also something to suggest that the price may vary depending on which liner you select. Companies offer various patterns which at times they add a "premium" charge to some of them. Again, without knowing exactly which pattern you wish and the exact measurements of your pool can affect the price. I would suggest you go to each of the manufactures websites and select the pattern you wish then go out and get price quotes. You're going to live with this liner for 7-12 years likely......make it one you love!

I just had a new liner installed and required special measuring done as the serial number on the liner was non-existent
and my oval pool is free form in design in the deep end.

It was $ 3,800 total including measuring, designing it to fit properly and he liner itself + install.

I was told that now that it is documented and will not need measuring for next time it will
cost much less.

Do check the patterns as soon as possible if you plan to install before winter rears itself.

I found my choices going back and forth a few weeks before I settled on the design I have
and very glad i had that extra time. I'm very happy with the choice I made.

Actually, borjis, I'm planning on waiting until spring to have the work done. No need to have the New York freeze for a whole winter take whatever toll it will before we use it for the first time. Better to start fresh next season, I figure. I'm sure there will be plenty of back-and-forth between my wife and me before we settle on a particular pattern and we'll make sure to have all our ducks in a row with plenty of time to order the liner and have it waiting for the first thaw to install it.

Without knowing the exact measurements of your pool I find it difficult to see how the installer came up with the $3,400 price quote. There are multiple different items that can quickly add up, so take his "quote" with a grain of salt.

Well, the $4,500 quote came from the company that has been servicing the pool (for both the previous owner and me) and so quoted me over the phone. Obviously, he is familiar enough with the pool in question. The $3,400 quote came from an installer that visited and inspected the pool. He did say that the way he works is to have the liner manufacturer visit the site and take all necessary measurements. The reason being that it indemnifies him if the liner doesn't fit. Seemed to make sense to me. Of course, that's why I'm here asking for advice. As a novice pool owner, I want to make sure I ask the right questions and don't leave anything out.

I'm guessing, based on Leebo's reply, that one question should be, what patterns are available at this price point. Perhaps the weight/thickness of the liner might make a difference also, correct?

Below is the $3,400 quote as written:

pool_liner.jpg

Good idea to wait the NE winter over.

I'm no expert but just having mine redone and what I went through that quote seems solid.

I can't recommend a brand as the pool co's in my area only offer Plastimayd liners.
Makes sense, the Plastimayd factory is less than 40 miles away.

Looks like they didn't specify the thickness, so that could be for a standard 20 mil liner.

It seems to be the consensus here that anything over 20 mil is overkill and not
necessarily helpful to vinyl liner life. Taking care of the proper chemical levels
will help the life of the liner more than anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.