Planning A Conversion For Spring

You don't want to put in any baquacil sanitizer when closing. If you can stop using it sooner than closing that would be even better. The idea is to have the sanitizer level down as low as possible in the spring.

It's a little bit of a crapshoot. Algaecide is generally considered as a decent preventative but not sure it will help much over that long period.

If it were me, I'd simply close it up and plan on using a TON of clorox in the Spring. Any additives at this point may not be any more effective than simply clearing your pool with clorox.

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET TO TAKE LOTS OF PICS!!! :mrgreen:

Last year at this time I was in the same position. Once it got too cold to use the pool, I left it open for about 3 more weeks but stopped adding anything with Baq in it. When I closed the pool I did use the closing kit sold at the pool store for non-chlorine pools. When I opened the pool this past spring the water was in decent shape, just a little cloudy. I immediately began the conversion using about 50 gal of chlorine to do it. Overall it took about 10 days but only the first three were intense with lots of scrubbing, vacuuming, flter cleaning, etc. After that it was just maintaining the chlorine level until the FC went to zero. My pool has never had cleaner, clearer water and it was soooo easy to maintain this summer and so inexpensive compared to Baq.

Good luck with your conversion. You will not regret it.

I did the exact same thing last year. My pump actually died right at the end of the summer, so I did no closing chemicals at all, just threw the cover on. I bought a good test kit in April and then started the pool up in May. My SoftSwim level was about 15 when I started pouring the bleach in. Within 2 days the water was back to clear and another 3 to 4 and it was sparkly! Just read all of the conversion stickies really carefully, more than once, some didn't really make sense until I started the process.

Johanna

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.