Nashville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi everyone. I did some digging through Pool School and searching the forums -- so if I missed the post, please forgive me and point me in the right direction. ;)

Is there a step-by-step process guide for what to do once the professionals leave after replacing our liner? Specifically the order of adding chemicals? I've already paid for the liner now we're just waiting for a weekend of good weather to get it installed at which point I'll write the second check. I'm both excited and apprehensive. In the meantime, I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row. I'm about to order the TF-100 test kit but want to make sure I go ahead and order everything on-line that I need. PB says aside from test kits, etc. that I can most what I need (Salt) at Lowes. He said, "When I leave water will be flowing and pool will be filling up. You'll just need to add salt."

Any reason to be concerned? Is it just a matter of test early, test often?

Get your test kit. Fill the pool. Test the water for everything except CYA since that won't be in the fill water.

Fix the pH if necessary. Anything in the 7s is good at this point.

Add the CYA in a sock hung over the side of the pool (but not touching the new liner) or in the skimmer (leave the pump on until dissolved if using the skimmer to hold sock). As soon as you add that CYA, bring your FC up using liquid chlorine (bleach). Until your SWG is up and maintaining the FC, you'll test daily and use liquid chlorine.

Then with the SWG *off* add your salt and mix around. Don't turn the device on until a day or two passes to let all that salt dissolve.

Then its just a matter of testing and getting to know your water....

References--> [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] PoolMath

Maddie :flower:

Ms. Skippy! I hope your laptop screen has recovered. Pool guys started draining the pool yesterday evening and will begin replacing the liner this afternoon. Hopefully my TF-100 test kit won't be far behind, I really waited too long to order it. We have a salt system and I just realized I didn't order the salt test kit. :( Will I be up the creek or can I temporarily rely on the control panel reading?
Also, the timing is kind of awkward because I'm going on a weekend camping trip. Maybe the time will give the CYA a chance to fully dissolve. Also, should I clean the salt cell before turning it on?
Thank you for your wisdom!

Yup... laptop screen cleaned up from hand print nicely... thanks :)

Just order the K-1766 Taylor salt kit today. When you go about adding salt (and using PoolMath to tell you how much to add) if you don't have the salt test kit yet I'd make sure I *underdosed* some. This would allow for buying time for the salt test kit to arrive. Then you can add as necessary. Make sure that SWG is *off* when you add that salt and until it is all dissolved. You can screw up a cell if you don't have the device off and it gets a blast of salt going through it.

Don't clean your cell unless it actually needs it. Premature cleaning = early salt cell death over time

Use bleach (liquid chlorine) to get your FC up to range and until the SWG is up and working.

Maddie :flower:

I do have pics! Let me get to an actual computer instead of my phone and I’ll post some.

Still working on the levels. Think my TA and Ph is a little high while CYA is a little low.
ph 8.2
fc 5
ta 120
cya 40

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.