Plan of attack following first test results

2 year old pool, San Francisco bay area, maintained by others up till now. I am the owner and planning to do it fully myself starting shortly but haven’t yet given notice to service guys. I've read quite a lot but am unencumbered by experience :)

The pool is currently clear and water quality appears fine. It is covered most of each weekday, only uncovered in late afternoon/evening. It is uncovered a lot more at the weekend but timings vary. It is 89 degrees without heating at present.

I’ve ordered TF Testkits but in the meantime took the water to a good reputation local pool shop for a testing baseline and found the following:
FC - 0.65
CYA - 5
CC - 0.12
Salt - 2679 (at odds with the control system which is reporting 3292 ppm average salt level)
PH - 8.1
TA - 93
CH - 254

I am assuming that things are working OK despite these FC levels because the pool is mainly covered and there isn’t much CYA.
However I believe the pool is vulnerable especially if we uncover it more or if pH naturally drifts any higher.
I am trying to work out what order to fix things. Current thought is to hold off on addressing low CYA for now and do the following:
  1. Increase period of SWG function to increase FC (30% --> 50% of filter run time)
  2. Clean SWG cell to see if that brings salt reading more in line with pool company test - maybe recalibrate?
  3. Add Calcium Chloride to increase Calcium levels per TF calculator calculations
  4. Add Muriatic Acid to reduce pH per TF calculator calculations, which should further increase FC
Assuming this all goes well, I’ll follow up with CYA addition slowly. I’m wary of short term FC reduction from this. I’ll add more salt once I’m confident that pool shop salt level reading is accurate.

Is this a good plan of first few steps or should I be doing something else?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:
About the only two things I would do right now is:
1. Lower the pH back into the mid-7 range.
2. Increase the FC to about 2-3 ppm

I wouldn't do anything else until you get your TF-100 test kit. The CYA is too important to guess and the other items can wait a couple more days. But the pH and FC need action now. Just don't go any higher than 3 ppm of FC if the CYA is so low because without CYA, the chlorine is exceptionally strong in the water.

Oh, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Reactions: jamesfpb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.