Pipes not full?

May 12, 2016
Katy, Texas
Hi all,

I’ve been noticing the last few weeks when ever the pool starts up it sounds like water is filling the pipes (close to the heater) then eventually it all settles down. This is accompanied by a plethora of bubbles being pushed out of the returns. My question is why does this keep happening since at some point the pipes do get fully pressurized. Where is my water settling? Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I’ve been noticing the last few weeks when ever the pool starts up it sounds like water is filling the pipes (close to the heater) then eventually it all settles down. This is accompanied by a plethora of bubbles being pushed out of the returns. My question is why does this keep happening since at some point the pipes do get fully pressurized. Where is my water settling? Am I thinking about this the right way?

Thanks.

Not sexy enough or stupid question?

Here, I’ll add some sexiness just in case....

5d29ad1a405ee7f9b13e112fd3b51b53.jpg

It is settling back into the pool, likely because air is able to get into the system when the pump is off allowing it to drain.

If you have solar, the panels drain intentionally resulting in a lot of air into the pool when the pump and solar turn on.

It is settling back into the pool, likely because air is able to get into the system when the pump is off allowing it to drain.

If you have solar, the panels drain intentionally resulting in a lot of air into the pool when the pump and solar turn on.

No solar, so this is normal? I don’t remember this happening before and coincidentally it started happening after a service tech came out to work on something.

pa,

When you turn off your pump, the water in the pump basket should stay full.. If you have an air leak, gravity will cause your water to drain back into the pool.. It can drain back from your filter or from the pump or both, depending on your plumbing..

The first place to look would be the pump lid O-Ring.. make sure it is lubed...

Since most problems start where the last guy worked on it, tell us what kind of service you had done..

Do you have any small visible water leaks at your equipment pad any where???

Thanks for posting..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.