Pictures of What the plates inside the Cell??

Mar 10, 2017
Marietta
Does anybody have pictures of the plates inside a new cell or slightly used one? I guess one that needs to be cleaned would work as well. I would just like to compare my cell to a new or "dirty" one. I've read the thread on cleaning them, just not sure if mine needs to be cleaned. Do you submerge the entire cell in the acid mixture?

Cheers,

Kevin

They need to be cleaned if you see white crusty build up on or between the plates. It is best to clean them with water if it will remove the build up or diluted acid if needed. Cleaning with acid will reduce the life of the cell. So, the less cleaning the better. And don't clean if there is no build up.

That's a plastic screen. The plates are a charcoal gray.

Mostly just look through the cell. Scale should be obvious.

Plates are covered with ruthenium oxidide. You can Google for pictures of ruthenium oxide.

Does anybody have pictures of the plates inside a new cell or slightly used one? I guess one that needs to be cleaned would work as well. I would just like to compare my cell to a new or "dirty" one. I've read the thread on cleaning them, just not sure if mine needs to be cleaned. Do you submerge the entire cell in the acid mixture?

Cheers,

Kevin

They are very easy to nspect, the only way you can be sure is to remove the element.
shut off the pool.
you can close the vacuum, skimmer, drain valves
remove the 3 wires, before removing make a diagram where they go. 2 wires to element, 1 wire to gas detector
now unscrew the element from the housing
if there is any white scaling between the plates, you will easily see it.
if there is scale
now remove the element housing
put the element back in the housing
put element on the ground with the 2 pipe ports on top
now fill the housing completely covering the element with Cell Cleaner or a 20% Muriatic Acid mix
immediately it will start bubbling as it dissolves the calcium
let it bubble away until it stops
when bubbling stops, gently shake the element, it will bubble a little more
when the second bubbling stops, you are good to rinse
dump out the Cell Cleaner and use high pressure hose nozzle to completely rinse the element
reinstall to piping
replace wires
open any valves you may have close
give it a test drive, make sure no leaks

ideally, you would have a strap wrench for the large union locknuts on the element piping
if you don't have a strap wrench, you can use a file or screwdriver and gently tap on the ridges to loosen the nut.

NOTE: These locknut piping connections do not need to be gorilla tight........you will find that because of the rubber O rings in the joint, just hand tight is all you need

if you are going to do these things yourself, you can get a strap wrench for probably less than 10 dollars and it is handy

He has aquarite, which is different from what you have.

Basically, just unplug the cell cord from the box, undo the unions and pull out the cell.

Look in both ends with good light. Any debris or scale should be obvious.

Clean only if necessary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.