Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Its almost time to order my equipment for our pool. I've spent time this weekend researching various options and think I landed on the setup below.

Filter - FNS 60 DE
Pump - Intelliflow VSF
Automation - Intellicenter
Cleaner - Pentair Prowler 930
Sanitizer - Intellichlor IC40
Secondary Sanitizer - None

What would you change above?

My PB sent me some info on AOP, including the Del AOP 25. While it seems promising, its a bit too new for my taste and seems a bit expensive for a secondary sanitizer. Anyone have any 1st hand experience with AOP?

I'm most nervous over the choice of a SWG over chlorine. For those who have SWG, do you also have a sacrificial anode? Does anyone on here have damage/corrosion caused by salt, other than replacing the SWG every 3-5 years?

Corrosion is a non issue. IC 40 is fine for your pool(2X). As for a robot i would pick a less expensive one like the S200 from Maytronics. You dont need secondary sanitizer like ozone, uv, or Nature2, they dont work. Dont know much about DE filter but make sure its oversized, less backwashes, also make sure the filter has a MPV.

Equipment looks good except for the cleaner. Read the thread below. Pentair DE filter comes with an
MPV.

JJ_Tex
I like some of your selections but I would re-think the Pentair Prowler. I have no experience with this cleaner but I believe there to be better options for you.

Regarding a salt pool. I have been using two different SWG units for over 12 years now. I have never used an anode. The only metal that I have in my pool is the light ring and the metal pool light niche. I replaced the old original incandescent light with a new LED about a year ago. When I inspected the approximately 28 year old metal niche and the original light housing, there was very little indication of any type of corrosion going on.

If you want any type of "secondary" sanitation device, the only thing that I might recommend at some point, would be a Pentair IntellipH muriatic dosing device. I love mine and it integrates very well with the IntelliChlor and there are opinions out there, that I believe to be true, that it assist with keeping the IntelliChlor cell clean if plumbed in the right location.

Since you are opting for IntelliCenter, it is rumored (yep, I hate that word), that the ipH, will also fully integrate with the IntelliCenter with a future firmware update (which by the way, are sent out automatically to the IntelliCenter).

If you think that you might opt for the ipH in the future, let me know, so that I can recommend what type, how and where to plumb in a "tee" after your heater bypass valve and before your IntelliChlor. You can utilize a 1/2" threaded nipple & cap at the tee, so you can at least have the "easy option" down the road.
Take care...
r..

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Tivo
jj,

I would go with the IntelliFlo VS (011028) instead of the VSF... In my mind there are zero reasons to have a VF pump, so why spend the extra money??

I have three saltwater pools in the DFW area and you are free to come over and check for any "Corrosion".. :mrgreen:

Your pool builder is trying to up-sell you to something worthless... just ignore him...

No one in Texas has sacrificial anodes.. The closest thing I have in my backyard is my BBQ grill... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.