(Pic attached) What’s involves to start up a new gunite pool?

Apr 7, 2015
Southern Cali
I read the Pool ABC’s and several threads on here but I can’t find what I need. Some help would be appreciated. I have a brand new owner builder gunite pool and I’m getting ready to pebble it this weekend just had a few questions.

1. (To get the pool going, do I cut the skimmer pipes and twist them off after the pool is filled? (See attached picture)

2. how soon do I start adding chemicals to balance the chemistry?

3.In what order should I start balancing the water chemistry?

Thanks guys and gals. Your input is greatly appreciated.

ArtD90A6246-AEEB-4EDD-856B-F0C05205CD15.jpeg

Somebody better in plumbing will be along shortly. In the meantime this is the go-to guide for your startup

Hey mendez,
you want your pool ready to start circulation water just as soon as it's filled.

As for chemicals, I would go in this order below.
Add chemical, circulate and test again 20 minutes later. Once you reach your desired level, then move on to the next one immediately. You should hopefully be able to get the water balanced in a couple of hours or so.
pH
CH
CYA
FC
TA

plaster usually has a tendency to push pH up - and fast, so have MA on hand to counter that and maintain your FC/CYA per the TFP recommendations. Be sure to test pH a few times a day and adjust as needed.

here is an artical on starting up new plaster.

Reactions: mendez4047
M,

I would have to assume that those pipes have a threaded fitting where they are attached to the skimmer... So cutting the pipes at the top and unscrewing them makes sense to me..

I would do that now..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mendez4047
Wow... look what I found. I am using stonescapes mini pebble. I might just follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.