Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I received an email today from photobucket. Photobucket has reconsidered. It looks like they are going back to free hosting of third party photo posting on their website. They say they will just add a watermark logo to any free third party photos that are posted. Now let’s all watch to see if all the photos magically reappear on October 10th.

Join Our Community of Photographers

My account (with hundreds of food-related and BBQ photos as well as a few swimming pool related photos) was completely obliterated in some kind of technological accident that they never explained. They never explained how they lost gigabytes of data with no ability to retrieve any backup data. That happened about 6 months before they made the decision to shoot themselves in the foot. They offered me a 1 year premium account and an apology.....I offered them a one-finger salute and promptly cancelled my account.

They clearly do not mirror their storage systems or have catastrophic data recovery in place. They are not a trustworthy company and I, personally, will never do business with them again.

Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me....

I haven’t added a single picture since they stopped allowing free third party hosting and will never contribute anything to their revenue. However, wouldn’t it be nice if all the photos posted from their site to the forum magically reappear on the 10th? I can dream.

I think we are going to see that a lot of photos they used to host are just plain gone. I think we managed to get most of the pictures in threads that are viewed frequently replaced, so I don't know if a photobucket resurrection would have much impact on TFP.

I just checked a couple of post I made on Garden web and all my photos are there, however I can't trust them anymore.

NEVER Post data to any online site, that you don't have on local storage with it's own backup procedure in place. I have a Photobucket account, it hasn't been used in years, and all the stuff posted, is stored locally, on either a hard drive or DVD. The hard drive is backed up to a removable drive, every once in a while. A 2 terabyte spinning disk is under $100, a remote drive case with USB, is about $25.... You can run multiple drives using the same case. There is no excuse for dumping stuff online and deleting it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.