phasing out the pool guy?

Nov 15, 2015
Midland, TX
We've had this house a year, and so far have just continued to use the pool maintenance person that the previous owner used. I'd like to take over the pool care myself, though. In fact, my twin 6th graders are going to learn with me as part of their homeschool studies--pool chemistry with real world experience! Any tips on phasing out the pool guy? Should we spend a couple of weeks practicing doing the tests, reading through the pool school sections on TFP, and reading manuals for our equipment and then just let him go and go for it ourselves? Or is there a way to more slowly take responsibility over the care of the pool? I'm nervous! But he only comes once a week, and I'm pretty sure we can do as good a job with a few minutes per day instead of his hour or so a week.

Any tips appreciated!

C,

I would buy the TF-100, use it to test your water a couple of times, to get used to it, and see where you are...

Report your first couple of tests here, and see if we have any serious concerns...

As soon as that happens, you can kiss the pool guy good-by... :)

You have a saltwater pool, so it should be very easy..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: craftyerin
You have a SWG. Your daily pool care is minimal. Here is your pool care schedule below.

Once you get your TF-100, do your first set of tests. Log them in PoolMath and set it to share your logs with us. Let's review what you get.

Inventory any chemicals you have on site and post a list here. All you really need is muriatic acid and occasionally top off your water with stabilizer or salt.

Do you understand all your equipment and valves? Is everything labled at your equipment pad? You might want to ask your pool guy to explain everything to you. Ask a lot of questions and take notes. Post pics of your equipment pad and we can explain stuff also.

Do that and then tell your pool guy you got it. We have your back.

Thanks so much! I'll take pics of my equipment pad later today and post for you guys to help me make sure I know what I have. I already have a TF100 test kit, so I can start testing at any point. School officially starts a week from today for the kids, but I might get a head start on this assignment. ;)

I recently got rid of my pool guy and it’s not too hard. Looking back, I realize that is impossible for any pool guy to do an adequate job coming only once a week. It is nearly a daily job, albeit a small one. In addition to chemicals you will need to brush and vacuum once a week unless you have an automated pool vac. In floor cleaning systems are nice but they don’t eliminated the job of vacuuming.

Here’s what we’ve got. Let me know if there is anything specific I should know. I do plan to read through the manuals.

Attachments

• 1905456C-73AF-4BB2-92C3-5B15C9720275.jpeg
    1905456C-73AF-4BB2-92C3-5B15C9720275.jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 155BD1A8-E62E-4DE7-8904-765E8EFBC226.jpeg
    155BD1A8-E62E-4DE7-8904-765E8EFBC226.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 42
  • A98B2FD5-9C2E-4E41-BF5C-E2E41CC7FF02.jpeg
    A98B2FD5-9C2E-4E41-BF5C-E2E41CC7FF02.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 37
  • C6C8D0C8-DE10-4AD6-AEE2-0738575C6CBE.jpeg
    C6C8D0C8-DE10-4AD6-AEE2-0738575C6CBE.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 27B866B3-4CCB-49F9-84EF-3A860CF203C0.jpeg
    27B866B3-4CCB-49F9-84EF-3A860CF203C0.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 145C8E70-2056-4226-AA21-F749A951E9DD.jpeg
    145C8E70-2056-4226-AA21-F749A951E9DD.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 40
You have a DE filter. You need to learn the functions and how to operate the big valve on it. You need to learn how to backwash the filter and add DE to it. Look at the pressure gauge on the top of it and note the filter pressure. Ask the pool guy what pressure he backwashes the filter at?

You have two suction lines coming into the pump. Learn where they come from. They have Jandy valves on them. Learn what those valves do. Where are the open and closed positions.

Learn how to open the pump lid and clean the basket.

What controls when your pump runs? What are the settings?

Learn the settings and controls on the IC40 SWG. What is the % generation it is set to?

You have a PB4 pump for a pressure cleaner. Do you no longer use a pressure cleaner?

That is your homework. Report back with questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nothing you can't do on your own. One thing I did notice in the good pictures you provided is a cracked fitting on the output side of the pump.
That's what I thought at first glance.. but I think it is a glue drip.

Great advice up thread.. With an SWG.. you are mostly monitoring your pool status.. The pool does "almost" everything on its own. You probably already know how to tweak the chlorine output when its hot or there are a lot of swimmers. Do you have the salt test kit too?

My daily routine includes checking the skimmers, making sure they are operating OK, the pump is getting water and replacing the skimmer socks when they are full. I drop the robot in once or twice per week, check the chemicals on the weekend and make any adjustments to my stenner pump times and adjust PH as needed. If you use a robot and use skimmer socks, your filter shouldn't need cleaning more than a couple times per year. Opening and closing a pool is a bit more work than maintaining an open pool, but you can do that yourself too if you read the articles here.

Good thread title and advice above. Call the pool guy, "your fired". Phase-out complete. :)

ajw22 will be waiting for your answers this weekend so he can leave his device for a few minutes to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.