pH yo-yo

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
So I have been using BBB method for several years. I'm still learning btw. And I feel as tough my pH is like a yo-yo. Friday I tested and ph was 8.0 and alk was 60. I added acid to bring to 7.0-7.2. Then I thought alk should be around 100, so I added baking soda to bring that up. I figured the pH would go up, but here it is Sunday and I'm back at 8.0. Is this pH yo-yo common? Very little bather activity, return jet barely breaks the surface, and ive just been adding about 1/2 bottle of bleach everyday day bc my pool seems to lose 3.5ppm-4.5ppm cl daily. Did OCLT test and only lost 0.5 so I'm good there. Anyways, are the baking soda and bleach additions bringing it up plus any aeration? Just keep adding acid I guess is the answer. Any replies are appreciated.

Why did you think your TA should be around 100? If you are using liquid chlorine to chlorinate then there was no reason to try keeping your TA that high. Frankly 60 isn't even a problem for a liquid chlorine pool if your pH is stable. Keeping TA that high is only necessary when using pucks because they are so acidic.

every year I fight the PH for the first half of the season upon opening my pool. This is due to high TA in fill water. Once the TA is brought down to a level your pool likes the PH will balance out and you will use very little MA( I find the exact number doesn't really matter it's just where your pool decides to be happy). Until then keep adding until it balances. The TA will lower some every time you lower the PH to desired level. Trust me Eventually it will balance. I was skeptical and Thought it was just a normal constant to dump tons of MA until I learned pool chemistry here. Your yo-yo may be due to adding conflicting chemicals. You brought the PH down with MA then added chemical to bring TA up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.