pH very low after winter

tcjack

May 19, 2013
I started checking my chem levels after winter just this weekend and my pH with a pH meter was all the way down to 3.5! Does this sound likely. I have only used trichloro tablets over the winter and I know they reduce pH some but this is quite a drop.

I would not jump to conclusions on that meter reading, but do you have a test kit? If so, run some tests now, and see where you are. Run pH and TA first. When was the last time you used and calibrated this pH meter?

My suggestion is to get a full test kit and get rid of the strips. I really would not wait on this and wouldnt rely on that low pH reading without some verification from a pH drop test and TA drop test.

I've put about 50-60 lbs of sodium carbonate and baking soda in and have now got the pH up to about 6.2. Got aways to go. Have to make another trip to the grocery store.

Still a mystery how it got that low however.

Tabs can definitely cause the ph to get that low. Every pound of trichlor will lower TA by about 2.6 ppm.

Where are your TA and CYA now?

If your TA went red right away, then it was zero, or lower, and the pH was below 4.5.

Assuming a starting TA of 80, it would take about 31 lbs trichlor to get a zero TA. However, you shouldn't have needed that much over the winter.

What was your last know TA and how many pounds of tabs have been used since then?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.