pH testing

Yes, I agree with you. I’m not color-blind, but got really frustrated with trying to determine the color/PH. I bought a PH meter. I spent a little more (about $90), but it came with a carrying case, storage liquid, storage cap to hold said liquid, and calibration liquid (4.0 and 7.0). I check the calibration every few weeks, but it’s always been within +/- .02.

I have a new plaster pool with SWG so I’ve been testing PH pretty regularly. The PH meter has been life-changing (ok, slight exaggeration).

I agree with you as well. However, PH doesn't need to be that exact. Is there that big of a difference between 7.4 and 7.8 as far as the pool is concerned. Seeing the color difference between 7.4 and 7.8 is actually not all that hard for me. I test PH a few times a week and once it is easy to see that it is above 7.8, I go ahead and dose with acid. When I do dose, I aim to lower to 7.5 from 7.8 that way if I overshoot I still have some wiggle room.

I have trouble distinguishing the pH test colors too. I took a 3x5 index card and cut it so I can simply see one of the five gradients when testing. I didn't need to test, but thought I add a photo of what it would look like if I was. This has really helped me.

1569354649644.png

EDIT: Forgot to say, I use a white background (6-8 inches) behind when doing the test. This helps me see the color much better.

Last edited:
For me, the key to easy pH readings is to have a bright white backdrop to view the color comparator against. I shine a LED flashlight on a white piece of paper, and hold the pH kit 6 inches or so above it. That makes it very obvious which of the boxes is the closest match. Some people on here have suggested that using four drops instead of five to makes it easier to read and doesn't change the result. I started doing that and it works well for me.

I agree with you as well. However, PH doesn't need to be that exact. Is there that big of a difference between 7.4 and 7.8 as far as the pool is concerned. Seeing the color difference between 7.4 and 7.8 is actually not all that hard for me. I test PH a few times a week and once it is easy to see that it is above 7.8, I go ahead and dose with acid. When I do dose, I aim to lower to 7.5 from 7.8 that way if I overshoot I still have some wiggle room.
Yes, I think I am reasonably accurately measuring it as well, but the other tests appear to be more accurate. I don't know if there is much difference between 7.4 and 7.8 (maybe some experts here can expound on that), but since my supply water is high in CH and has a pH of 7.8, it is a constant battle to keep pH 7.5 or below. Unless I'm willing to spend $90 (thanks for the tip, jimbethesda!) (I'm not), I guess I'll try Sue's index card method!

I don't know if there is much difference between 7.4 and 7.8 (maybe some experts here can expound on that), but since my supply water is high in CH and has a pH of 7.8, it is a constant battle to keep pH 7.5 or below.

Why fight the pH of your fill water? Keep your pool at 7.8.

Why fight the pH of your fill water? Keep your pool at 7.8.
You got me curious..... my supply water averages pH 8.2, and total alkalinity of 95, so I add weekly muriatic acid to try to keep it below at or below 7.8. I also have fairly hard water so over time the CH rises and if I don't keep pH in check I get more calcium deposits.

FYI my TA is pretty constant at 110, and I can't seem to lower it even lowering pH and aerating. Not sure if that's a problem or not.

[And sorry for my misreporting of my supply water pH!]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.