Burleson, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey Everyone,

*Pics at bottom for reference*

Looking to eliminate having to constantly add PH and chlorine… because well, I’m lazy and tired of the weekly chemical additions 🙃

Ultimately I’d like to automate and tie in my Hayward VS pump, a SWG, and a PH control system. I have an older style manual timer/power supply that I just manual override to stay on while using my pumps digital timer. I believe I’d need to replace that old timer/power supply by adding a certain automated controller that works with my pump, a SWG, and PH control system.

I’ve seen CO2 or liquid feed ph control options. CO2 seems expensive and more trouble than a liquid feed system.

Questions:
1. What timer/controller/automation device would I need for a Hayward VS pump, SWG, and PH control system?
2. CO2 vs. liquid feed for PH control?
3. For PH control, would a Hayward liquid feed be easiest to automate/tie in with my Hayward VS pump?
4. Suggestions on SWG?

For a SWG, I’m leaning towards circupool or Pentair intellichlor. Not sure if I need a Hayward SWG if I’m trying to automate and tie in with PH control.

Link to the Hayward liquid feed PH control I’ve been eyeing: Liquid Feed Systems | Sanitizers | In Ground Pool Sanitizers - Hayward Pool Products

Thanks in advance for any input or advice!

Attachments

• 4FEBD7C6-DCE0-4B46-AA6A-5107A3B48770.jpeg
    4FEBD7C6-DCE0-4B46-AA6A-5107A3B48770.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 19
  • CAF12267-7EEA-4AC1-8D48-E6AD87D30911.jpeg
    CAF12267-7EEA-4AC1-8D48-E6AD87D30911.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 20
  • F08E0F9E-F319-4F14-82E6-B2F6E63E27D4.jpeg
    F08E0F9E-F319-4F14-82E6-B2F6E63E27D4.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 20
  • E265D31A-F138-4336-B0DE-2F21ACF5D908.jpeg
    E265D31A-F138-4336-B0DE-2F21ACF5D908.jpeg
    784.1 KB · Views: 20
SWGs are pretty much self-contained and do not need automation. You estimate what you need, set it for that, and dial it in as needed. PH control is also as far as I know just based on estimated usage. There might be systems out there that take a pH reading and add acid/CO2 as needed but I am not sure about that. Look at Stenner pumps.

Hopefully someone else comes along with more knowledge than I.

Reactions: BurlesonTXpool
SWGs are pretty much self-contained and do not need automation. You estimate what you need, set it for that, and dial it in as needed. PH control is also as far as I know just based on estimated usage. There might be systems out there that take a pH reading and add acid/CO2 as needed but I am not sure about that. Look at Stenner pumps.

Hopefully someone else comes along with more knowledge than I.
Thanks for the input!

Ya, I would be fine with a PH control system that is similar to a SWG, where it is just a dial/estimate based off usage as opposed to taking readings.

Guess I don’t need it to be truly automated, just so that they are synced up to one timer/controller… basically just something to ensure the SWG and PH control don’t run without the pump running.

Just in case I didn't understand, the SWCG or muriatic acid dispenser will not free you from "taking readings." You estimate settings and test the water every few days to see what is happening. Even then, things that affect FC and pH are going to require adjustments or supplements to your devices. Rain, sun, wind, lots of swimmers, use of water features, and other things will cause your SWCG and acid settings to fall short of demand. A full set of tests with your K2006 probably weekly will still be in order, and FC and pH are every couple days if you're being hyper vigilant.

My IC40 runs in summer for 12-14 hours a day at 40% in two "shifts" to keep 4-6 ppm. In winter, the run times are shorter and using settings of 8-10%.

Last edited:
Just in case I didn't understand, the SWCG or muriatic acid dispenser will not free you from "taking readings." You estimate settings and test the water every few days to see what is happening. Even then, things that affect FC and pH are going to require adjustments or supplements to your devices. Rain, sun, wind, lots of swimmers, use of water features, and other things will cause your SWCG and acid settings to fall short of demand. A full set of tests with your K2006 probably weekly will still be in order, and FC and pH are every couple days if you're being hyper vigilant.

My IC40 runs in summer for 12-14 hours a day at 40% in two "shifts" to keep 4-6 ppm. In winter, the run times are shorter and using settings of 8-10%.
Ya, I would still be testing weekly to monitor and make adjustments to the SWG and acid dispenser. Thanks for the info on your avg output.

I’d like to know if I can just purchase the SWG and sync it up to run when my VS pump runs without any additional controller or automation setup?

Also, same question for the acid dispenser.

I’d imagine I’d need some sort of automation/power relays to ensure the SWG and acid dispenser only run when my pump is running.

Just not sure how to accomplish all of them running at the same time. I don’t need to be able to control them from my phone or anything like that.

I have an intellichem system. It works well for measuring, dosing, and controlling pH. I never have to add acid manually and I just check the pH level any time I want instantly from my phone. In the 8 months I have had it, the pH reading has never been off from my manual reading that I do once I month just whenever I have time. It's a little costly and I'm not sure how long it will be good for, but I decided to get it just for fun. I manually tweak my SGW % on settings based on the ORP readings. I only do this once every few weeks if I see ORP drifting from its nominal values. I don't let the intellichem control the SWG.

Thanks for the info!

Just took a look at the intellichem set up pic on your link. Nice job, that looks pretty complex and way over my head to wire up lol

I’m fine with no automation and just sticking to manual testing with my Taylor kit. I’m still curious what else I may need to buy aside from a SWG and Hayward liquid feed.

Power relays or a new timer/controller to ensure the SWG and/or acid feed dispenser runs only while the pump is running?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.