pH not rising, despite addition of 20 Mule Team Borax?

Sep 7, 2018
Jersey Shore
I've added 9oz of borax twice to my pool in an attempt to get pH up to 7.6, but I cannot seem to get the pH above the (minimal) 7.2 level.

Due to acid rain, local sales of "pH Up" are brisk, so I decided to save a buck, and use 20 Mule Team instead.
Readings as follows, fairly stable for a few weeks, as running the SWG at 6 hrs per night is keeping ahead of the sunlight losses.
FCL 7, CC 0, ALK 40, pH 7.2 TH 60-70 CYA 60-70 (unsure of precise TH and CYA levels due to subjective nature of the readings, but at "70" there is no doubt.)

Not sure why I am getting no change in daily readings, after adding Borax twice, and waiting a few days after each time.

Your TA is also on the low side. Have you tried adding just baking soda with a TA goal of say 70-80? By increasing the TA, it might allow the pH to rise easier and remain more stable. You can also aerate the water to increase the pH if you have a way of creating air bubbles in/on the water. But I would definitely try to increase the TA.

Fire,
Are you using Chlorine tablets to sanitize your pool?

Nope, I have a Salt-Water Generator, and some shock in a pail in the basement. Bringing up the TA with some Arm and Hammer baking soda (they were out of the "Hammer and Sickle" brand) did the trick.

The return line has an aerator that one can open and close, and it is fully open but I do not see that as adding much value.

My personal experience, with kiddos that can be tossed in the pool, is the vinyl AGP pools don't have the aeration that typical larger pools w/water features + stronger pumps, etc have, so I have to run my TA slightly higher than the TFP guideline to keep a stable PH that doesn't crash. It also depends on the local water source. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.