Maricopa, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi, I went to do a water test today and the first test was for pH. It was extremely low, 6.2 or lower. I stopped doing any other testing as I thought the low pH would throw the other results off. Now I did add acid to the pool last night (Thurs.), only because I haven't added any in a while and the pH is usually high when I do a water test. I was going to add baking soda to raise the pH but thought maybe I should wait a day or two to see if the pH goes up. Any thoughts on if I should add the baking soda now or wait? I don't remember the last time or if the pH was ever so low before. Kind of shocked me to see it. I have had high chlorine levels recently and lowered that to 20%, I even had it down to 0% for a few days.

Now I did add acid to the pool last night (Thurs.), only because I haven't added any in a while and the pH is usually high when I do a water test.
So you added acid because you THOUGHT the pH might be high? As opposed to testing first then adding it if NEEDED? Why and how much did you add?

When you need to raise the pH, you can add baking soda, but only if the total alkalinity of the water is also low. If the alkalinity is in the proper range or high, you should use soda ash to raise pH. You don't say what your TA level is so no one can say what to add.

What test kit do you have? What pH test tells you it is below 6.2? The ones we use only go down to 7.0.

Post a complete set of test results:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Do not add baking soda to your pool unless your TA is below 50. So, first things first, you need to test your TA.

If it is 50 or above, bring your pH up to 7.4 or so using 20 mule team Borax.....soda ash is not a good choice.
If it is below 50, then bring the TA up to 50-60 using baking soda and THEN raise your pH to around 7.4 using 20 Mule Team Borax.

Reading between the lines, it seems you are not being as precise as TFP teaches. We are sticklers on good testing and precise dosages to manage the pool water so it stays crystal clear.

Reactions: aztony
Do not add baking soda to your pool unless your TA is below 50. So, first things first, you need to test your TA.

If it is 50 or above, bring your pH up to 7.4 or so using 20 mule team Borax.....soda ash is not a good choice.
If it is below 50, then bring the TA up to 50-60 using baking soda and THEN raise your pH to around 7.4 using 20 Mule Team Borax.

Reading between the lines, it seems you are not being as precise as TFP teaches. We are sticklers on good testing and precise dosages to manage the pool water so it stays crystal clear.

The TA test didn't turn red, more like a pale pink or light orange. Adding more drops didn't seem to do anything. Going to add some baking soda.

Sorry about not being so precise. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.