ph increase

survey77777

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2007
ontario, canada
Well here I am with yet another question.
My ph is up to at least 8.2 over a period of a week. I was away for a bit and had someone adding a little bleach each night for me, so I'm not sure when exactly it happened. pH was 7.4 when I left.
My alkalinity has dropped from 100 to 80 but over a more gradual period of time. My FC is at 5.
I've added some pH decreaser (something left over) tonight and I'll check it again in the morning but because I can't tell exactly what's in this product I'm not sure how much of a drop I should expect...trial and error 'til I move on to the muriatic acid. I guess I'm more interested in learning why this would happen.
Can anyone help me with this please?
Thanks

PH can go up for a number of reasons. The most common is CO2 outgassing caused by aeration of the pool (rain, kids playing, SWG, waterfall, spa, etc). Blown in dust can sometimes be fairly basic, raising the PH. New plaster will raise the PH for several months to a year.

If you compensate for PH increases from CO2 outgassing by adding acid reguarly, the TA will go down over time.

Hardly any rain lately...very dry right now, no kids, no SWG, no waterfall/spa or fancy things I dream of owning ;) No plaster and no reason for there to have been much dust. My returns do aerate a little I guess, but they're not doing anything that they haven't been doing for the rest of the summer, so I guess it's still a mystery.

Nope...if anything I had to panic for a moment when I got home and the level was lower than it should have been...when I took that reading the FC was actually at about 2.
I remain stumped too :?
Thanks or the suggestions though...I've learned something anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.