pH: How high is too high?

Ronald U.

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Greetings. I've asked this years back, but now I'm into uncharted high pH territory and I want some opinions. As you'll see, my CSI is fine. And I figure, if I don't have to go out in the cold and add acid, I won't. I'm lazy. Thanks.
pH 8.5 (approx. as 8.2 is top of the color scale)
FC 5.5
TA 100
CH 200
CYA 30
SALT 2600 (non-SWG pool)
BORATE 45
Temp 55

Our standard recommendation is to keep your pH in the 7's. If you wish to let it be higher, that is your decision. With the cold water, it will mute any effects. But be very aware prior to the water warming.

I have nothing to add to your question, but I was noticing your salt is at 2,600. Have you ever added salt, or is that just what has accumulated over the years?

It also results in lower concentration of HOCL and lower OCL. HOCL has a very short kill time for pathogens. OCL still kills pathogens but at a much longer kill time. Under pH of 8 this affect isn't so significant above 8 it becomes more pronounced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It also results in lower concentration of HOCL and lower OCL.
Some of the HOCl becomes OCL, so the HOCl is lower but the OCl is higher.

OCl also gets used up by UV light faster than HOCl, but the overall effect is mitigated by cyanuric acid.

In my opinion, the minor difference in HOCl vs. OCl is relatively insignificant.

As PH is my only real variable with my pool, I would like to get a PH meter that measure very accurately. Any suggestions?>
As PH is my only real variable with my pool, I would like to get a PH meter that measure very accurately. Any suggestions?>
8B1E56AA-C6B1-4D24-920D-EDA9BAC50FC6.jpeg
I bought this a few months ago and it’s very well made and accurate. Any PH meter has to be calibrated around once a month, and you should just get the 7.01 ph solution. Also, it’s important to keep the PH tip in storage solution at all times (a few drops in the retainer cup is all you need. Don’t ever let the tip dry out. The pH sensor is easily removed and should be replaced once a year, they recommend. This one also measures ORP, but they have a ph-only model for cheaper. I think that Hanna is a good company.

View attachment 176044
I bought this a few months ago and it’s very well made and accurate. Any PH meter has to be calibrated around once a month, and you should just get the 7.01 ph solution. Also, it’s important to keep the PH tip in storage solution at all times (a few drops in the retainer cup is all you need. Don’t ever let the tip dry out. The pH sensor is easily removed and should be replaced once a year, they recommend. This one also measures ORP, but they have a ph-only model for cheaper. I think that Hanna is a good company.
Thanks. I'll just measure with drops...didn't realize you had to calibrate, store a certain way, etc. etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.