pH: How high is too high?

Ronald U.

Bronze Supporter
Greetings. I've asked this years back, but now I'm into uncharted high pH territory and I want some opinions. As you'll see, my CSI is fine. And I figure, if I don't have to go out in the cold and add acid, I won't. I'm lazy. Thanks.
pH 8.5 (approx. as 8.2 is top of the color scale)
FC 5.5
TA 100
CH 200
CYA 30
SALT 2600 (non-SWG pool)
BORATE 45
Temp 55

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our standard recommendation is to keep your pH in the 7's. If you wish to let it be higher, that is your decision. With the cold water, it will mute any effects. But be very aware prior to the water warming.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
If you're going to go above the color scale on the test vial, consider getting a ph meter.

Watch the CSI carefully.

What is the current CSI?

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have nothing to add to your question, but I was noticing your salt is at 2,600. Have you ever added salt, or is that just what has accumulated over the years?

Ronald U.

Bronze Supporter
Thank you all. The CSI is nominal, the salt is just accumulated over the years, and, you're right: I should either buy a pH meter or just add some acid! BTW, what exactly is bad about having a pool pH in the 8s? Ron

setsailsoon

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Oct 25, 2015
Stuart/FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
It also results in lower concentration of HOCL and lower OCL. HOCL has a very short kill time for pathogens. OCL still kills pathogens but at a much longer kill time. Under pH of 8 this affect isn't so significant above 8 it becomes more pronounced.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It also results in lower concentration of HOCL and lower OCL.
Some of the HOCl becomes OCL, so the HOCl is lower but the OCl is higher.

OCl also gets used up by UV light faster than HOCl, but the overall effect is mitigated by cyanuric acid.

In my opinion, the minor difference in HOCl vs. OCl is relatively insignificant.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
As PH is my only real variable with my pool, I would like to get a PH meter that measure very accurately. Any suggestions?>

Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
As PH is my only real variable with my pool, I would like to get a PH meter that measure very accurately. Any suggestions?>
8B1E56AA-C6B1-4D24-920D-EDA9BAC50FC6.jpeg
I bought this a few months ago and it’s very well made and accurate. Any PH meter has to be calibrated around once a month, and you should just get the 7.01 ph solution. Also, it’s important to keep the PH tip in storage solution at all times (a few drops in the retainer cup is all you need. Don’t ever let the tip dry out. The pH sensor is easily removed and should be replaced once a year, they recommend. This one also measures ORP, but they have a ph-only model for cheaper. I think that Hanna is a good company.

MCF50

Aug 18, 2020
Houston
View attachment 176044
I bought this a few months ago and it’s very well made and accurate. Any PH meter has to be calibrated around once a month, and you should just get the 7.01 ph solution. Also, it’s important to keep the PH tip in storage solution at all times (a few drops in the retainer cup is all you need. Don’t ever let the tip dry out. The pH sensor is easily removed and should be replaced once a year, they recommend. This one also measures ORP, but they have a ph-only model for cheaper. I think that Hanna is a good company.
Thanks. I'll just measure with drops...didn't realize you had to calibrate, store a certain way, etc. etc.