PH actually changed

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I know this is discussed endlessly but I'm a bit confused and I'm sure someone may have an idea.

My tap water seems to always have a high TA. Usually around 180.
I used muriac acid to bring my TA and PH down at which point my TA stayed around 120 and my PH was solid at 7.6 for weeks. Nothing changed it, downpours, swimming etc the PH was a solid 7.6

We had a lot of rain and I dropped the pool a few times so the other day I added some CYA. I check my water the day after and I'm at 7.4. I checked it last night, same thing still 7.4.

I use a solar cover at night and often during the day if no one is going in. I didn't add much CYA, maybe enough to bring it up 5 ppm or so. My CYA level is around 30 right now.

Is the CYA the culprit here? Could a small amount have dropped my PH by 0.2 if my TA is 120?

And the most important question. Should I do anything other than keep checking it? I assume no.

CYA is a mild acid. I don't know how many gallons are in your pool or how much stabilizer you added but it will lower the pH a bit.

11 oz of stabilizer would raise CYA by 9.7 and lower pH by 0.18. Just about the .2 pH reduction you observed. Isn't chemistry wonderful and predictable!

Reactions: cj133
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.