Permits

Aug 6, 2018
Wilmington
Hi there, long time reader, first time poster,

I am in the process of building an above ground pool and I was wondering what the role of a permit is for when building a pool. More specifically, the rules on the town website shows the following:

Swimming pools, whether aboveground or inground, having a depth or 18 inches or more or a surface of 150 square feet or more shall be enclosed by a *non climbable safety fence not less than five feet in height with a self-latching gate. In the case of aboveground pools such safety fence may consist of the pool wall and fence around the top rail or deck thereof provided the stairs to such pool are removable, swing out of use or are fenced. In all cases the setback shall be measured from the nearest point of the coping of an inground pool or the nearest point of the top rail or deck of an aboveground pool to each lot line. * Chain link fencing is sold with a large mesh (2”) or a small mesh (1 ½”). The large mesh is climbable and not acceptable; the small mesh is not climbable and is acceptable.

We had someone from the town come over and look over our fence (40ft) from where the pool will be and tell us everything looks fine to build, and that he will be back when its complete. We texted him about having a fence thats 5ft etc and he was non-chalant and said "sure build a deck with a fence, should be all good". So my question, is the permit only relevant when building it and after you have built it you can do what you want?

Matt

When he comes back he will tell you if he likes what you did and if it meets the town code.

He said build a deck with a fence that encloses your pool. If that is over 5' and has removable stairs then it meets the code.

For safety and liability reasons you should build to the code.

You will find inspectors don't like to pin themselves down in writing. You have the written code and expect you to follow it. They will decide when they look at it.

If in doubt, call and ask. Better to be sure, then find out later that it's wrong. When I applied for my permit, I had to submit a drawing with the measurements on the drawing. They approved from the drawing and the inspector also came out to view the location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.