Perma Salt to TFP Start up

JF July

May 17, 2019
Nashville, TN 🎶
We have a 33’ round (25,600 gal) AG pool from Family Leisure. Instead of buying their seasonal PermaSalt kit this year ($399, but the same amounts for a 24’ or 33’?!) and then purchasing a lot of additional chlorine & pH Down, I decided to try TFP. So far, so good!

Starting with dark green algae farm, started to SLAM last night to preserve chlorine:
pH >8.0... now 7.2 (almost 2 gal of MA to get here!!)
CYA 0... now 30 (6.5 lbs CYA)
TA 80... now 60
FC 0... now holding at 12 (7 gal 10% bleach, so far)
CC ?... now 1.0

Going out to brush now, but I feel GOOD about this method!

How much do ya’ll usually spend in chemicals each year?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Great Job!!

If using liquid chlorine, assume you will use 3 ppm FC each day from now until mid-September. See how much liquid chlorine that is. The other costs will be minimal. Unless your fill water is very high in TA then it might take a couple gallons of acid throughout the summer.

JF July

May 17, 2019
Nashville, TN 🎶
Thank you, mknauss! How do you calculate the 3ppm per day?

Unrelated, but I have to say that the Speedstir is a huge timesaver! I'm glad I bought that at the start of all this.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Normal FC loss per day, on average, in most pools, is 2-4 ppm per day. So using 3 as an average.
In your pool volume, it will take about 3 quarts of 10% liquid chlorine to add 3 ppm FC.
So each month you would need about 22 gallons of bleach a month. Most of the time you can find 10% for around $3.50 per gallon. So less than $80 per month.

Reactions: JF July