Pentair Whisperflow - Motor friction washer?

Diptych

Jul 30, 2021
Bend
There is a lot of great info on this forum but I could not find an answer to the following:

I'm replacing the seals on a 2HP Whisperflow Pump which is straightforward however during disassembly we found on the motor side of the seal plate the remains of some kind of friction washer/gasket on the motor shaft. Since this is on the motor side it does not appear on the Pentair parts lists but after trawling through AO Smith parts for the motor I can't find any references to this washer/gasket at all. There was not much of it left when I split the seal plate but its definitely some kind of gasket a little thicker than copy paper and black almost like wet n dry paper. Any advice on a replacement much appreciated.

The gasket basically disintegrated as I separated the seal plate so no pics. It certainly looks like the water slingers as suggested however if I add the water slinger it looks like it might prevent the seal from fully seating into the motor housing?

Motor shaft recess.jpg

There is only one seal and it goes in the seal plate.

The motors are all square flange motors.

The slinger should not interfere with the seal.

You really don't need the water slinger, but it will mean that there is a larger risk of water getting into the motor if you do have a seal leak.

Get a good seal to reduce the risk of a leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.