Pentair Whisperflo frozen...replacement alternatives?

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
"Old" Katy, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi guys. Freeze protection and a standby generator saved my Intelliflo 3 hp variable speed pump and associated filter and heater. The Whisperflo 1.5 hp "water feature" pump was not so lucky. I never could find freeze protection for it, and by the time I knew I had a problem...I had a problem. Frozen and split. Pentair sent me the part number for the replacement volute of the pump, but I'm sure it will be hard to find and expensive, as will be a whole replacement pump. Since this pump just runs two bubblers on the sun shelf and a couple of little waterfall things in the back wall, it is not a problem if I have to wait. As it is I really only run the thing five minutes a day to make sure the pump still works, other than when people are in the pool, and even then it's more for ambience than serious function.

What would you guys do in this situation? Any work will involve a professional with me just watching. Things that occurred to me so far are (1) a new Whisperflo pump; (2) some other brand of pump; (3) rearrange the above ground plumbing with pipes and valves so my Intelliflo runs everything. I never run the Intelliflo at full speed. Normal is around 1500 rpm and maybe 2500 when the heater is on. Incorporating the two bubbler returns in the regular water flow would help alleviate a kind of water dead zone. There are already individual valves for each return and each waterfall, so fine tuning would be fairly easy.

I've only been a pool owner since Sept 2018, so I have very limited knowledge other than being really good at water testing. Suggestions? Thanks.

Incorporating the two bubbler returns in the regular water flow would help alleviate a kind of water dead zone and it will also cause more rapidly rising pH due to aeration.

The installation cost is the same if you replumb the water features to your main pump or install a new water features pump. You can try connecting everything to your main pump and see if the water features have enough flow. I would put a valve on the bubbler returns so it can not run all the time.

This would be fine as long as you are ok manually turning some valves when you want your water features to go on or off. Otherwise put a new pump in so you can turn your water features on with one switch.

Last edited:
Just for comparison's sake, a new volute is about $200 versus a new pump which looks to be around $600. Aside from a few bolts and gasket perhaps, not an unreasonable DIY, but only if you are comfortable with such as task. Of course there is the option of reconfiguring your existing plumbing as noted above. Decision. :)

Thanks, guys. My earlier notion of re configuring the plumbing, was a half baked idea not really worth pursuing further. If replacing the volute gets it back running, that's also less money than a new pump from some other mfr. Time to call the authorized Pentair repair service. Now I just need air and water temps to stabilize so that I can tell for certain there are no other leaks. The 52 degree water inside all the plumbing, filter, etc. with 81 degrees and 70% humidity air has condensation on everything.

Thanks again.

A Whisperflo is not an appropriate pump for a water feature. A water feature pump is. Check to see if those are more available and lower price.

Reactions: duade
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.