Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I just checked my pump since my heat pump stopped due to low flow (speed 1650). I cranked it up to 2700 and heat pump started, but motor sounds bogged down (no odd noises). Pressure on filter down near 15. Shouldn't the gauge be high if I need backwashing? (Probably needed). May backwash a minute or two then pull apart for cleaning. Or could it be motor issue (only 1 year old)?

Both wide open. I just backwashed and seems better, just needs a good cleaning. I would have though gauge would be much higher with fairly slow flow at 2700. I'll give it a good brushing and get the filter trap what it can, and clean grid tomorrow.

T,

Obviously, as the pump speed changes the Filter pressure changes. As the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure also increases.

15 lbs. could be high or low, but there is no way to know unless you know what your clean filter pressure is, at a fixed pump speed, and with the heater in line. Each pool is different, so you need to determine what the normal pressure for your pool.

As an example.. I have no heater and a large cartridge filter, and my filter pressure at 1200 RPM is about 1 to 2 lbs. My point being you can't use any number, you have to use a number that relates to your pool's plumbing.

Troubleshooting needs to start with a known baseline. If you think your filter is dirty, clean it. How often do you backwash? How often do you open the filter and clean the grids?

I would have though gauge would be much higher with fairly slow flow at 2700
That is not how it works.. The slower the flow the lower the pressure. The filter gauge is not a indication of how well the pump is working, it shows the amount of effort it takes to push water through the system. It takes more effort to force more water through the plumbing and a dirty filter just makes it worse.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah, mine's like 20 at prime speed and clean, guess I never checked it at 2700. It's like 10 at 1600. Just thought if the pump was struggling it would have been higher at 2700 (was like 18). I'll jot different speeds down tomorrow after I clean it (or after I receive new air relief valve I'm expecting from Amazon).

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.