Pentair Variable Speed Pump with Pool Heat Pump

Mar 10, 2013
Hi all, I just had a Pentair Superflo variable speed pump installed. Before I had a single speed pump on an intermatic timer.

The issue is with the Pentair it goes on and off based on programming, so if I want to run my pool heater overnight I would need to reprogram it to stay on and then reprogram it again the next day. Seems kind of crazy is there some work around?

Also at 1500 rpm theres not enough flow for the heater to work, which I find odd as I've seen people state at 1200 rpm their heater works.

I've seen plenty of people say they can close the flow switch for their SWCG's at 1200 RPM, but most people with heaters have to run them 1500 or higher.

Jim R.
Thanks, any workaround you know about just forcing the heater to stay on at a manual rpm as opposed to having to reset the programming each time I want to run the pool heater longer than the pump program times?

Could you use the QuickClean feature to do what you want?
Marty has the best suggestion; QuickClean is a setting that bypasses the scheduled events. Set the time you want it to run and the speed. When QuickClean times out your regular schedule is resumed.

Marty has the best suggestion; QuickClean is a setting that bypasses the scheduled events. Set the time you want it to run and the speed. When QuickClean times out your regular schedule is resumed.

I dont believe that will work when I want to heat overnight. Example:

Program 1 set to start at 9 am for 2 hours at 2500 rpm, program 2 set for 6 hrs at 2000 rpm, program 3 set to run for no time. In this normal daily scenario, pump turns off at 5pm.

If I'm not at home and dont hit the quick clean button before 5 PM, pump and heater turn off. Also the quick clean button doesnt extend your programming time.

If I want to heat from let's say 7 PM all the way through to the next day I would have to reprogram the settings, then the next day reprogram again.

What you want to do is what an automation system does.. So with a VS pump you are caught in that black area between having an automation system and not having an automation system. :(

It seems to me the SuperFlo VS can be controlled by an external cable that allows you to select up to four speeds.. (I need to double check).. If it does, you could probably come up with a way to increase pump speed when your heater was turned on...

I'll see what I can find..

Jim R.

Reactions: Mbkemp

Look at page 5 in the SuperFlo VS manual...

You will need an External control Wiring Kit p/N35329Z... Here is a link... Pentair Dig Input Kit 353129Z

Then you can wire one or more of the pump's speeds to come on when you connect 5 VDC from the pump through a switch or relay in your heater and then back to the pump. As long as that 5 volts is there, the pump will override any schedule and run the speed.

The only thing you need to do is come up with a way for your heater to close a relay... Could be as simple as having a relay attached to the power on circuitry of your heater...

What kind of heater do you have??

Jim R.

Between the heater, pump and soon to be pool resurfacing I've already spent too much money! I just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything regarding the inconveniences without buying an automation system

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont believe that will work when I want to heat overnight. Example:

Program 1 set to start at 9 am for 2 hours at 2500 rpm, program 2 set for 6 hrs at 2000 rpm, program 3 set to run for no time. In this normal daily scenario, pump turns off at 5pm.

If I'm not at home and dont hit the quick clean button before 5 PM, pump and heater turn off. Also the quick clean button doesnt extend your programming time.

If I want to heat from let's say 7 PM all the way through to the next day I would have to reprogram the settings, then the next day reprogram again.

The manual says that when the quick clean cycle completes normal programming resumes. So if you set a quick clean cycle it bypasses any programming currently set. You could run a temporary program with quick clean overnight and then it will resume normal programming. This would only cover one night at a time. Multiple nights would require re starting the quick clean cycle. The manual does not give the maximum time quick clean can be set but it probably will not exceed 24 hours. This is a far from perfect solution. Jim's advice concerning using a relay would be a more permanent solution without using automation.

Thanks you're right I didnt realize the quick clean could be programmed more than 3 hours. That should work.

Anyone have any ideas in general at what speed and how long I should run the pump for daily? Let's assume the heater flow rate doesnt matter and I'll turn on quick clean if I want to use the heater. I'm in South Florida, in ground pool about 7000-8000 gallons, 1 skimmer.

If you have a SWCG, you first must run the pump long enough each day to create your chlorine. The next is long enough to skim surface debris. If you get little surface debris and add liquid chlorine you could be down to a couple hours per day.

RPM depends on if you have a SWCG that requires a certain flow rate, do you have a cleaner that needs a certain flowrate, and last is if neither of those, sufficient flowrate to skim your surface debris.

How do you chlorinate?

With liquid chlorine, the pump only needs to run for an hour or less to distribute the chlorine. I would try 4 hours each day at 1200 rpm. If you start to routinely run your heater, you can skip that. Just add your liquid chlorine while the pump is running.

How do you chlorinate?

With liquid chlorine, the pump only needs to run for an hour or less to distribute the chlorine. I would try 4 hours each day at 1200 rpm. If you start to routinely run your heater, you can skip that. Just add your liquid chlorine while the pump is running.

Liquid Chlorine and always when the pump is running. What can I skip if I start routinely running the heater? If I decide to routinely run the heater I'll be running the pump at 2200rpm so there is enough flow.

The pump will run the most to run the heater. The pump doesn't need to run much to keep the pool sanitized. Once the chlorine is added and distributed evenly the pump has done its' job. Movement through the skimmer will be achieved while running the pump to heat the water. With some experimentation you will find the sweet spot of pump run time to keep the pool water at temperature.

Last question and thanks for the help so far guys.

My heater is an electric pool heat pump. Is there a sweet spot rpm for efficiency and also effectiveness of getting the pool warm.

Some articles say run pump at lowest rpm possible that heater can handle as it's cheaper and the water flowing through gets to warm more since its moving slower.

Other articles say if you run the pump slow you save money on the pump but more in electric costs from the heater since it takes longer for the pool to warm up overall.

So ultimately is there a sweet spot rpm that is good for efficiency and doesnt slow down the heating process too much?

Reactions: Mbkemp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.