Pentair Variable Speed Pump Not Priming After Using Spa

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
In the world of unusual, my Pentair VSP, doesn't want to prime after I've used the Spa when trying to switch back to pool mode. All valves/actuators seems to be operating normal. While I can go from pool mode to spa mode without issue, when I switch back, pump tries to prime but no water coming from skimmer/main drain lines into pump pot. VSP eventually shuts down to protect itself. Only about 1/2 inch of water in bottom of pump pot. When I pour about one quart of water in pump pot, and restart pump, it begins to prime pulling water from both the main drain and skimmer lines normally.

This process was working without a hitch in both directions ie. switching from pool to spa and then back to pool.

Any ideas/thoughts?

bx,

The most logical thing is that your water is too low at the skimmer...

If the valve was stuck in Spa, it would still prime, it would just drain your spa and then stop.

You don't by chance have that useless SVRS version of the IntelliFlo like I do, do you???

If so, then I feel your pain... I find that if my water is low at all, it will sense a surge and go into entrapment mode and shut off. Sigh!!

Other than that I can't think of anything that should effect priming on the pool side, only after being in the spa mode...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks to both Jimrahbe and jodeci77 for your feedback. Appreciate your quick responses. So I added 2 additional inches of water and tried switching to SPA mode and then back. Switching to SPA worked as expected. Switching from SPA to Pool stalled the pump for non-prime. Checked weir and it was free floating. I did another test basically the same way with the exception of turning off my SOLAR before switching back to Pool from Spa mode. In addition I did a complete shutdown on the Spa before engaging Pool Mode. Everything worked as expected. Pump primed right away with no issue. I can only conclude that the Solar System for some reason when it's active during the transition from SPA to Pool mode is creating the non-prime problem with the pump. Weird, as I have for several years simply switched immediately from Pool to Spa mode and visa-versa without regard to the Solar and not using a shutdown between the two. I'll continue to monitor and post any additional findings.

bx,

If you want, you could post a couple of pics of your equipment pad showing the pump and the solar, maybe one of our experts can spot something or come up with other ideas..

As you say, kind of weird...

Thanks,

Jim R.

So here's an update from Monday 3/19/18. I finally found the culprit. Apparently my Diverter Valve that switches water flow between the pool and spa was/is/had failed. After removing the actuator, I noticed water pooling on top of the valve. When I powered the pool down, I noticed what sounded like air escaping/drawing in the diverter area, a sound I hadn't noticed in the past. I secured a replacement diverter valve assembly from my local pool store which included the diverter and O rings. I removed the old diverter and installed the new one. Started pool and switched from pool to spa. After about 10 minutes, I switched back to pool. Solar was in play all this time. Everything worked perfectly as it once did. Pump primed perfectly when switching between the pool, spa and the reverse. Diverter assembly was 6 years old. Guess it just wore out. At least if I have a similar issue in the future, I'll look for a defective diverter valve first. Guess we need expiration dates on diverter valves LOL! My pool store guy said if you have an active valve with/without actuator, typical life span is 5-6 years. I wonder, should these diverter valves be lubricated (O rings & Diverter Face) every X number of years just as a precaution?

bx,

Glad you got her fixed- good job...when you stated your pump was starving for water, and it draws water from both the skimmers and main drains, then the issue was less likely to be no access to the pool water, unless the settings for the main drains were so low that it required 90%+ of the water to come from the skimmers, providing too that the water was low and/or wiers were bad/stuck...but, easier to say in hindsight too.

Usually if something was working well for yrs, then changes instantly, there's usually a defect that is causing it...but, it's for sure sometimes very hard to recognize it immediately...good luck..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.