Pentair Ultratemp rapid cycling

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
Hello,
I have a Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump 110 and a Pentair Easytouch 4 control panel.
When I enable the "remote RS485" option on the heat pump to allow control from the EasyTouch, the Heater cycle's on/off every 5-8 minutes after the water drops below the set temperature. It runs for about 5 minutes and shuts back off. rinse/repeat. It sort it feels like there's no delay so when the water hits exactly the set temperature it kicks off. When it falls below the set temp even for a few seconds, the controller is calling for heat again.

This only happens when RS485 option is selected on the heat pump. When the remote setting is OFF on the heat pump, it runs for a bit and then shuts down and seems to be more of a normal function.

Has anyone experienced this before and if so have you found a solution? Looking through the EasyTouch manual, I dont see anything that sounds like it would help my issue.
I'm pretty sure the rapid cycling of the heat pump is not a good thing for a prolonged life.

Its been a few years, but hoping you are still on here.

I have had an issue with my easytouch and ultratemp h/c heat pump since i have had it (3 years).

When it is set on the RS485 option and heating the pool, it will heat it up fine...for a while. Sometimes it gets to temp, sometimes it doesnt. Eventually it will start calling for heat, run for a very short time, and shut off. Calls for heat, runs for a very short time, shuts off...keeps doing it. It's hit or miss if it will hit temp or not.

If i turn off the RS485 option and just run the heat pump manually, everything works perfectly. I have had techs and lead pentair guy over to check it out, it has the latest firmware, but still has the issue. The board on the easytouch was replaced, twice.

I'm wondering if i am having a similar issue as you. By any chance do you still happen to have the tech bulleting in a larger format where it can be read easier?

Hello. I lurk here occasionally, and tbh, wish I'd checked here before building my pool last year, but I didn't, so here we are!

I have an Pentair Ultratemp 120 H/C heatpump (heat/cool) that is acting very strangely. I'm in Texas, trying to heat my spa currently. I have it set to 104. It runs for about an hour, and then stops. The temperature this brings it to is inconsistent, and seems to have more to do with ambient temperature than anything else. Following that (without changing settings) it begins rapidly cycling. It seems to try to start and then fail. The best way to understand the problem is to view the "history" screen from Screenlogic ("solar" is what Pentair uses for heatpumps):

View attachment 125530

With this chart, we can see it's not shutting off because of the ambient temperature (It turned on at noon, ran until 1:19, during which time the ambient temperature went up). The water temperature at 1:19 was 94. Testing at different times, I've had it shut off at a different temperature (eg. 88), so it's not related to the actual temperature - it doesn't think it's hit 104. And you can see once it starts rapid cycling, it no longer heats. If I try to run it several hours later, it runs for a much shorter time at the beginning (I tried running it just after 9 pm - it ran for 6 minutes before rapid cycling. And it is VERY rapid cycling and not consistent. Here it is during a 4 minute period:

View attachment 125533

Anyone seen anything like this before and/or have any ideas?

I haven't yet called Pentair or my builder (incompetent), and I can't find anything that matches this pattern in the manual. I wondered if anyone here had seen it before calling Pentair.

did you get it resolved?

We are on #2 for our 120 H/C. With the temp set at 86, it will continously hit the temprature and then not shut off until it hiit 88. Pentair cannot explain the issue and just keep sending out boards for the heater, & upgraded EZtouch boards. The last attempted fix is they would upgrade the EZTouch to Intellicenter but would not include the in house panel or the remote panel., and could not say if it would fix the issue.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.