Pentair SWG

DoDo1975

May 22, 2020
Kelowna, Canada
Hopefully someone on here understands the Pentair line well. I have an IC15 and it is unclear in the documentation whether I can hook this up to my Easytouch controller and the associated transformer in the Intellicenter. Does anyone know whether IC15 is compatible with the Easytouch?

Your question is a bit confusing. When you say "the associated transformer in the Intellicenter" did you mean "in the Power Center?" The IntelliCenter is an automation controller like the EasyTouch, you wouldn't likely have both. The Power Center is a stand alone box with a transformer inside. You connect the SWG to that, and the Power Center to a circuit breaker, and then tie the PC to the ET with a four-conductor wire, over which the three communicate. But that's for IC20, 40 and 60. Some models of ET have a built in transformer for the ICs.

The IC15 has its own power supply and doesn't utilize the Power Center. It should have been included with the purchase of the IC15. Like you, I couldn't find anything in the SWG manual that suggests the ET can control the IC15. Though you could wire the IC15 power supply to one of the ET's relays and schedule the IC15 to run while the main pump was on. Then control the chlorine output from the IC15 manually. That's all I could figure out from the manual.

If no one else shows up with a better answer, give Pentair tech support a call, they're pretty helpful.

Hi,

I have an EasyTouch 4P-C (which I think is the Canadian version.) It has the option for the Intellichlor and there is a transformer for it inside the high voltage compartment and a connector on the bottom left of the unit. I looked at the power cable coming off of the Intellichlor and there are 4 pins. If I look at the output of the power supply box that comes with the IC15, only two of the 4 pins seem to have connections on the power supply.

From a power point of view, the transformer output seems to be same (24 V). I am not sure if the other 2 connections from the Intellichlor are for control or if they are unterminated.

I am trying to determine if the Easytouch will control this or if I need to return it and get an IC20. I guess as you suggested if nobody shows up with a definitive answer I will need to call Pentair support.

Thanks for the help though.

Pentair and their names. OK, you have an EasyTouch with the Load Center. Can't help with the IC15 integration any more than I did.

What size is your pool (gallons)? We recommend that your SWG be rated for twice the size of your pool. So your IC would cover up to a 7500 gallon pool. IC20 --> 10K pool, etc. I have the IC40 on my 12K pool. The larger the size, the less hours you have to run the pump.

You can help us help you faster if you fill in your signature:

Absolutely, the 15 is too small. With the IC15 you'd likely have to run your pump 24/7, and it might not even work at that in the middle of the hottest month(s). Some would even buy the IC60 so that they could run the pump even less. There have been some studies here about if using a 60 instead of a 40 ends up being a better deal: the 60 will need less runtime, and make more chlorine over it's lifespan, so it'll last longer, but it costs more... so how does that math compare to a 40, etc, etc. I worked it out once, I think the 60 was a slightly better deal, but not by much. My theory: Pentair did the same math and priced their SWGs accordingly, not so much by the material costs (just a theory). Buy at least the 40 and enjoy the ET control!

Reactions: setsailsoon

The IC15 does not have the RS-485 communication lines needed for the EasyTouch to "talk" to the cell.. I suspect that you can power it with the EasyTouch, but unless you can control it, I don't see any advantage to what you have now.

Most EasyTouch systems that came with an internal SWCG power supply also came with a cell.. Either an IC20, 40, or 60.. What happened to the original cell?

Personally, I would bite the bullet and get an IC40.. This means you just have to plug the new cell into the bottom of the EasyTouch.

The EasyTouch SWCG transformer is not wired when originally shipped. So, you would need to make sure that the transformer is wired to the load side of the pump/filter relay. This prevents the transformer from working if the pump is not scheduled to run.. This is a requirement, not an option.. It prevents the cell from exploding should the flow switch every fail in the closed position.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I now have my new Intellichlor. I have hooked up the primary transformer in the Easytouch Load Centre to the filter/pump relay output (both legs of the 240V to the relay output and input to both sides of a 240V breaker). The manuals (both Easytouch and Intellichlor) are really unclear on the communications when connecting directly to the Easytouch and not using the power center.

Do I need to use a separate RS-485 cable from the easytouch directly to the Intellichlor, or does it use the additional 2 wires in the power cable for communications? One of the manuals said the cable should be included in the box but was unclear if it is the box for the Intellichlor, or the box for the power centre. There is no RS-485 cable in my Intellichlor box.

I just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples.. Does your EasyTouch have two transformers that look like this...

David 1.jpg

A small transformer for the system and a large transformer for the IntelliChlor???

Normally, when you have the IntelliChlor transformer, you will have a power supply and communications card behind the drop down panel at the top. You can also see the connector where cell plugs into the bottom left of the EasyTouch.

If all you have is the transformer, you are missing several parts..

Do you see this card mounted to the back wall of the EasyTouch, behind the drop down panel..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi, I do have the big transformer and the circuit board. Mine is soldered to J7 vs molex connector but otherwise the same. Now knowing this board is for the intellichlor, and seeing there are 2 power and 2 data connections, I think this may have answered my question but happy to hear your confirmation.

Do you not have the IC port on the bottom of your ET, as Jim describes? You shouldn't have to do any more wiring now that the transformer is wired. You just plug the IC's cable into that port, you're done.

There should already be a four-wire cable running from that little circuit board right to the port Jim's describing.

Then crank it up! :party:

I meant there should be four wires running from the little board to the port, so both: four wires from board to board, and a second set of four wires from board to port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.