Pentair SuperFlo shaft seal leaking.

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
I have researched it and have the rebuild kit ordered, bt will not arrive for a week. Right now I'm loosing about 1/4" every day. Is it likely it will hold on long enough for the rebuild kit, or do they deteriorate rapidly? Should I worry about the pump motor? Should I run the pump only during the day? I usually run it 24/7. Thanks in advance.

jeffnhispool

Silver Supporter
Jan 28, 2019
Tampa, FL
Seals typically wear over time but can also be damaged by a mechanical issue such as a failed bearing. If the problem arose gradually then it should progress at the same pace but given the leakage it's not a bad idea to reduce run time until you can repair it.

Fungi

May 5, 2015
Central Illinois
Thanks for the reply Jeff. The pump was new in 2013, so it has 6 years of summer only use. Not sure if that is normal timeframe. It leaks a lot (1/4" daily), but the pool is only 2300 gallons so it's not as bad as loosing that much from a larger pool. Hoping the motor does not get damaged. I will shut down at night. Thanks again!

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Until your part arrives you can run the pump enough to add your chlorine and any other chemicals you need. After 15 minutes you can shut the pump off.