Pentair Rebel Vacuum making left turns

bpdunlv

Apr 4, 2017
Las Vegas
I have a Pentair Rebel vacuum on an all Pentair setup that is only a little over a year old. Currently the vacuum will go about a foot, then turn left and do donuts. It will eventually go straight again but only for about a foot before it turns left and does more circles. I have put my hand underneath and the suction is perfectly fine, and the wheels seem to turn okay as well when I move them by hand. But when I’m water usually the right one goes forward and the left one won’t move much and then goes backwards causing the vacuum to go in circles. Any thoughts?

Re: Vacuum making left turns

I have a Pentair Rebel vacuum on an all Pentair setup that is only a little over a year old. Currently the vacuum will go about a foot, then turn left and do donuts. It will eventually go straight again but only for about a foot before it turns left and does more circles. I have put my hand underneath and the suction is perfectly fine, and the wheels seem to turn okay as well when I move them by hand. But when I’m water usually the right one goes forward and the left one won’t move much and then goes backwards causing the vacuum to go in circles. Any thoughts?

Hahaha! That sounds like my son when he was a teenager!!!! "Doin' the donuts...."

I have a dolphin, and the handle can be angled in different directions which makes the robot go differently. I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the Pentair. Hopefully, someone will see your post and help. If not, do you have any local stores that sell this robot? You could ask them. Otherwise, it sounds like there is a problem with the left wheel.

When you find the problem and solution, please let us know. That may help others in the future with your model robot.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's an easy fix!
Suz

Re: Vacuum making left turns

I had this cleaner for over a year and this never occurred but it brought a thought to mind, have you set the appropriate suction level up with the included in-line flow meter? I believe there is an indication on that meter of the proper suction range for correct operation.

Your cleaner may be too new for this problem, but I recently had problems with my Rebel where it would not move properly... it was staying in the deep end all the time. Turns out the problem was worn out splines on left gear drive shaft -- see picture below. I replaced that part (part number 360289), and now it works great again. My Rebel was a couple years old, though. Something to check.
IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehoops02
Hi there, I’m having the identical issue with my rebel. Turns left all the time and foes in circles. What did you do to fix the problem? Is the issue the left or right wheel? Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.