Pentair Racer LS stuck on wall - Wheels not spinning / how does it work??

Mike_St

Jul 26, 2020
Houston, TX
Hello all,

Our Pentair Racer LS is 3 years old, and gets stuck at the wall lately.
When I inspected it I found that the gears on the large wheels and on the drive shaft are pretty worn.
So I ordered a new wheel set and a new drive shaft, replaced them, and.... same issue.
Turned the Racer on its side to see if the wheels spin at all. Well, they do, if they have no resistance at all, but as soon as you put the tip of your finger on the rubber they stop.

So I thought maybe the gears on the turbine wheel are worn out too (didn't recall from before), and disassembled everything again.
That's when I got confused, the drive shaft goes right through the center "bore" of the turbine wheel and spins freely in there.
How is the rotation of the turbine wheel transferred to the drive shaft??
Is it supposed to be a press fit between the two?

I attached a diagram for easier identification of the parts.
Pentair Racer LS.png

I hope somebody can shine a light on this.
Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards
Mike

Last edited:

rphpool

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
I had a Racer with same issues and replaced same parts as you did. To answer your question the turbine wheel works when the water flow turns the blades inside it. It's like a old water wheel. IMO the design of the Racer has to many flaws. The nose of the Racer contacts the wall and gets stuck. Then the wheels just spin and wear down. Then the drive shaft gear wears down and does not make contact with wheel gear. I got rid of mine 1+ years ago and got a Polaris Quattro and it is far better designed. Gear system is beefier and the front has 2 wheels that turn against the wall to free it. Check it out.

Mike_St

Jul 26, 2020
Houston, TX
the turbine wheel works when the water flow turns the blades inside it. It's like a old water wheel.
I get that. But there is no connection between the turbine wheel and the drive shaft.
That means if the turbine wheel spins, the drive shaft doesn't.
I will see if I can contact Pentair about this.
Thanks for the recommendation though, will look into it if I can't fix it.