Pentair Racer - Line Float question....

Aug 6, 2016
Spring, Texas
My racer over the last couple of weeks started to fall over to a side and go round and round, getting tangled on the hose.

After looking everything over, tightening and such, it occurred to me that the line isn’t floating as much and maybe the weight of the hose is the issue.

This afternoon, I took a couple of the floats off - they appear to have water in them.

How does that happen? Is there a way to drain the water? Doesn’t appear so.

Would I leave the line floats in the sun during the day, might that evaporate the water? Seems strange to me.

We’ve only had the pool for a year.

Thanks!

I am experiencing the same thing with my Racer. The three floats closest to the cleaner (the ones usually under water) are filled with water, causing the hose to hang low in the pool. Looks like the leaks are from micro-cracks in the seam between the two halves of the float plastic. Too hard to get the water out without cracking the float (or drilling a hole and resealing it somehow). I'm waiting to hear back from Pentair about warranty replacement.

RedStick, did you learn anything else about the issue, like how to prevent it? Should I use some kind of silicone sealant or glue to prevent future leakage?
Thx!

Last edited:
Update: Since the floats were installed less than 1 year ago, I'm getting them replaced under warranty. That said, they obviously have some kind of flaw at the seam where they glue them together. Is this an uncommon problem or should one seal them somehow? What would work with being submerged? Or maybe I should just buy a supply of these to keep on hand and consider them a wear item.

Update: Since the floats were installed less than 1 year ago, I'm getting them replaced under warranty. That said, they obviously have some kind of flaw at the seam where they glue them together. Is this an uncommon problem or should one seal them somehow? What would work with being submerged? Or maybe I should just buy a supply of these to keep on hand and consider them a wear item.
You should buy a new cleaner, there are many issues with the Racer.

You could try smearing a clear glue for plastic around the seam or a silicone sealant. I also have a Racer ( junk ) but so far my floats are ok. Pentair warranty responds very well to phone calls. I am on my 3rd Racer and have had to replace MANY parts in the cleaner.

Yeah, I think I’ll seal the replacement ones. Thanks!

I’m surprised and nervous now about the Racer. Knock wood I haven’t had any problems with it yet. What kinds of things should I be expecting? (Yikes)

Given I now have the Racer and booster pump (which were recommended and installed by our pool builder last year, and I unfortunately didn’t do my own research) what is the recommended replacement? I assume I’d have to change the wall fitting too.

Or perhaps I wait out the two years remaining on the warranty first and then get the great advice of folks here..

You could try smearing a clear glue for plastic around the seam or a silicone sealant. I also have a Racer ( junk ) but so far my floats are ok. Pentair warranty responds very well to phone calls. I am on my 3rd Racer and have had to replace MANY parts in the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.