Bronze Supporter
Dec 26, 2019
Conroe, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi for the last 3 years I have been using a Pentair Racer pressure side cleaner and it has worked great.

About 6 months ago I inherited a Pentair Prowler 930W which was about 8 months old and to say I am disappointed is a massive understatement!

It moves great and it will cover the pool floor with no problems. The problems arises when there is any leaves on the pool floor and just lately that has been every day! This cleaner will not pick up leaves very effectively, it either blows them out of the way or it runs over them and does not pick them up.

I think the issue is with the size and shape of the hole where the leaves are supposed to be sucked into. The hole is quite narrow and the cloth thing on the inside seems to jam up with only a few leaves.

Anyone have this cleaner and have the same problem?

Did you solve it?

Thanks

Iam,

Robots are not really designed to pick up massive amounts of leaves.

In theory, leaves should be collected by your skimmers before they sink to the bottom of your pool.

Sounds like a robot is not the tool you need.

My only suggestion is to remove the "cloth thingy" and see if that helps or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

I completely understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately I do not have the pool pump on all day. It runs in the morning, lunch time and dinner time.

I was fortunate that the cleaner did not cost me anything so I am not to disappointed.

I am surprised though, that a top of the range pool cleaner struggles with leaves.

Thanks again.

Iam,

The next time you need a pump you should look at a VS model. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that runs 24/7, which gives me constant skimming, and since I have a SWCG, constant FC generation. This means that on a bad day I only get a couple of dozen leaves in the bottom of my pool. The robot handles those with no issues. Running 24/7 cost me less than $20 bucks a month, so it works well for me.

I'd try taking out the cloth thingy and see if that does not help.

Thanks

Jim R.

Reactions: Iam1964 and Newdude
@Jimrahbe , yeah I hear you. I will eventually replace the pump with a VS pump and add a SWG.

Being a Scotsman I want my money’s worth before I have to chuck it out. 😄

I have removed the cloth thing and it works a little better so that is what I’ll probably do on the windy days.

Thanks again.

It’s entirely possible that you were given a cleaner that was defective or dying. The person getting rid of it probably didn’t like it much and so he just chucked it over the fence to be someone else’s problem.

It is entirely possible that the impeller motor is either jammed up with some hair around it OR the motor itself is dying. These robots can’t sense when there’s a problem with the impeller motor and so all you as the end user sees is poor performance or other suction issues. The Prowler is nothing more than a rebranded Dolphin robot. Dolphin uses a cheap, brushed DC motor for the impeller that generates a lot of carbon dust. That dust can gum up the rear bearing on the impeller motor and cause poor performance. Also, the brass rotational seal can leak which can cause water to drip into the motor assembly causing all sorts of corrosion problems.

If you want to investigate it further you can pull the motor assembly out of the robot and open it up. You’ll probably find something amiss when you do.

@JoyfulNoise ,

I know the full history of the robot. My mother in law had an indoor pool and after I mentioned I had a pool cleaner on one of our visits she decided she needed one. I tried to tell her she didn’t need one as her pool was spotless (no one had used the pool for years) but she was the type of person that when she had made her mind up there was no more discussion. So…. Within an hour of this conversation she had went to the local pool store and bought the most expensive one they had. I think she paid $1600 for it. Sadly she died about 6 months later and we inherited the house. I rehoused the cleaner I’m my pool so it is practically new.

I did check the impeller and as you can imagine, it was totally clean.

@JoyfulNoise ,

I know the full history of the robot. My mother in law had an indoor pool and after I mentioned I had a pool cleaner on one of our visits she decided she needed one. I tried to tell her she didn’t need one as her pool was spotless (no one had used the pool for years) but she was the type of person that when she had made her mind up there was no more discussion. So…. Within an hour of this conversation she had went to the local pool store and bought the most expensive one they had. I think she paid $1600 for it. Sadly she died about 6 months later and we inherited the house. I rehoused the cleaner I’m my pool so it is practically new.

I did check the impeller and as you can imagine, it was totally clean.

Pull the robot out of the water and put it up on blocks so the treads are suspended (cut 2x4 works great). Open the lid and pull the filter basket out. Power the robot on and let it go through its self test with the lid open. Listen to the impeller motor as it spins up. It’s should cycle through 3 distinct speeds that will sound like three different high pitched whining noises. If you can’t hear three distinct speeds then the impeller motor is likely starting to fail. You can power off the robot after the impeller test or wait for treads to go back and forth. After a minute or two the robot will shut down as it senses it’s not in water.

Reactions: Iam1964
Thanks Jim,

I completely understand where you are coming from.

Unfortunately I do not have the pool pump on all day. It runs in the morning, lunch time and dinner time.

I was fortunate that the cleaner did not cost me anything so I am not to disappointed.

I am surprised though, that a top of the range pool cleaner struggles with leaves.

Thanks again.
Definitely something wrong with the unit. Mine picks up leaves like a champ!
If a storm has blown through and many leaves make their way in I’ll remove the cloth for a couple cycles. But even with the cloth in it will pick up very large magnolia leaves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.