Pentair Power Center Parts vs Intellicenter SWG

Giggler

Jun 11, 2022
Southern NM
I have noticed that some members take apart the Power Center and install the parts in their Intellicenter housing, while other people order the necessary parts to upgrade their Intellicenter to support a Pentair SWG. The Power Center "Surge Board"/"interface power power board" looks much beefier with its power transistors and heat sink. Any recommendations of which parts are better? Any ideas on why the design difference? I need to add SWG control to my Intellicenter and I have a Power Center, but I'm trying to decide... take it apart or order the parts.

Attachments

• Power Center.jpg
    Power Center.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Intellicenter.jpg
    Intellicenter.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 100
G,

The reason for the heat sink is based on the fact that the card is mounted to the back wall of the IntelliCenter vs. inside a dinky external box. They both work just fine.

If the plan is to have a saltwater pool, then you should order an IntelliCenter with the built in SWCG power center. Otherwise, it makes more sense to me to use the external power center if you already own a non-saltwater IntelliCenter. There is no real advantage to having the power center inside the IntelliCenter other than visual. Most likely you already have at least one or more light transformers anyway, and they look the same.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Long story short... the pool company I bought the IntelliCenter from gave me the model without the SWG by mistake. It was discovered after it was installed, so they made good with the external power center and generator. I want a clean install and would not have an issue taking the power center apart and installing it in the IntelliCenter housing. I guess the real question for the forum, does anyone know why the Power Center uses the larger power diodes (stps20h100cfp) for the rectifier (hence the heat sink) while the "built in" IntelliCenter SWG surge board does not? Does one version seem to less prone to failure?

Buying the correct parts would be an easier installation, and perhaps more cost (depending what I can sell the Power Center for). Moving the Power Center parts into the IntelliCenter housing, more work but maybe a more reliable build.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.