Apr 27, 2017
TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.. Pentair Power Center Bonding Question

No you are not crazy and the Pentair instructions don't use US terms. You are correct. The internal screw is for the equipment grounding conductor -- the "ground wire". The external lug is for the bonding system. The 8 guage solid copper wire that connected to the lug on the pump case. A SWCG is part of the water circulatory system and must be connected to the bonding system.

You are also correct, I think on page 5 they are saying don't connect the pool bonding wire to the internal equipment grounding conductor screw terminal.

Man those instructions are bad.
Sorry to revive an old post, but I’m having the same issue as the OP. It sounds to me that the conclusion to this thread was to connect the external ground to the pool bonding wire that is also connected to the pool pump... even though the directions seem to say not to do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to revive an old post, but I’m having the same issue as the OP. It sounds to me that the conclusion to this thread was to connect the external ground to the pool bonding wire that is also connected to the pool pump... even though the directions seem to say not to do that?

The Power Center external bonding lug connects to the pool bare #8 copper bonding wire.

Grounding and bonding are two different things done for different purposes.

The Power Center external bonding lug connects to the pool bare #8 copper bonding wire.

Grounding and bonding are two different things done for different purposes.

Thanks!
I had already read through the bonding vs grounding article already and I believe I understand the difference. I think that is why I am/was confused, the directions in the Power Center instructions are confusing on this point.
In my attached photo from the manual, item #7 is the ground wire coming from the timer. Item number 8 they call the “Earth Bonding (Grounding)” then refer to the external lug on the diagram labeled as the “Ground bonding lug.” Then they go on talk about a permanent earth connection and then say: “Never ground pool pump to Power Center.” Well the only place I have access to the #8 bonding wire is where it is connected to the pool pump!
I was just trying to verify that I needed to run that #8 copper wire to the pool pump and connect it with a split bolt connector to the existing bonding conductor there. But I think it sounds like that’s exactly what I need to do.

Attachments

• F8A20674-6B66-44CF-AC5D-E4BDF8F8148F.jpeg
    F8A20674-6B66-44CF-AC5D-E4BDF8F8148F.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.